Add 1 and 0 to 5 digit code
redgin

This is the message I get when I try to call my mom on her cell phone!  What does it mean and how can I fix it so I can call her?!  It’s a Verizon landline to a Verizon cell phone....if that is helpful! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Add 1 and 0 to 5 digit code
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Adding a quick note to this old topic.

With Verizon Digital Voice, the use of override prefix codes such as 1010288, 1010333, 1010444 & 1010555 is not allowed. Verizon Digital Voice subscribers are locked into Verizon local and long-distance services.

These days, using override codes has pretty much ground to a halt. The rise in the use of mobile phones as the only source of voice calls, increases in VoIP providers and the decline of traditional voice services has rendered them obsolete.

View solution in original post

CDP01
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you ever find out,I'd like to know too. Because I'm getting the same message on a new FIOS line.

0 Likes
CDP01
Enthusiast - Level 1

And I think I've worked out what my problem is: perhaps it's yours too? I have unlimited local calling, but my area has 2 area codes (412 and 724) and only 412 and certain 724  central offices (exchanges) are covered by this plan. So I cannot use this phone to call two cell phones I own, that were originally provisioned  to this address, because they have the "wrong" exchanges and aren't covered by unlimited local calling. I have to get a regional plan if I want to call them.

FURMA012VZ1
Enthusiast - Level 2

the message telling you to add a one and a zero plus the five digit code is referencing when long distance carrier access codes changed format (for example AT&T was 10288 and later became 1010288). 

These carrier access codes were very commonly used in the late 80s and 90s when long distance calls were more costly and competing carriers were offering cheaper rates than Ma Bell. 

As far as why you are hearing the message, it may be simply due to a misdialed number, or a network problem within Verizon's switch. If the problem persists, call Verizon Repair at 1-800-VERIZON. 

Note: although you shouldn't have to dial a 1 for long distance on FiOS Digital Voice it can't hurt to try dialing a 1 first and see if the call completes. Traditional landline customers (whether on Copper or Fiber) always need to dial 1 for long distance calls.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Adding a quick note to this old topic.

With Verizon Digital Voice, the use of override prefix codes such as 1010288, 1010333, 1010444 & 1010555 is not allowed. Verizon Digital Voice subscribers are locked into Verizon local and long-distance services.

These days, using override codes has pretty much ground to a halt. The rise in the use of mobile phones as the only source of voice calls, increases in VoIP providers and the decline of traditional voice services has rendered them obsolete.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes