After mandatory fiber upgrade "calls to this area have been blocked" message
need_fios_info
Enthusiast - Level 3

After mandatory upgrade from copper to fiber, when I make calls to Guatemala I get recorded message "calls to this area have been blocked". Calls to Guatemala went through fine right after upgrade, but one month later now I get this message and calls do not go through.

Verizon does not seem to be able to fix it.

Anyone else experience this message?

40+ years with copper phone lines and never had such problems. Glad fiber is so much more reliable.

0 Likes
Re: After mandatory fiber upgrade "calls to this area have been blocked" message
need_fios_info
Enthusiast - Level 3

Figured it out,

Verizon forced me to upgrade from copper to fiber. In the process they hijacked my long distance service which I have had with AT&T for 30+ years. And they did this without my knowledge or consent. I actually asked the guys that were doing the installation if the long distance arrangement with AT&T would be maintained and they assured me it would. Even worse, they did this without subsituting an equivalant plan of their own.

The effect of this was twofold:

1 - huge phone bill for international calls made right after upgrade. Without any international plan, the cost per minute is astronomical.

2 - International calls eventually blocked altogether due to "unusual activity" ( international calls made without international plan in effect). This left me with no way to make important calls.

Next, I found out that this "upgrade" does not permit me to use AT&T (or any other carrier) for long distance. I must pay Verizon for its long distance plan (which is more expensive).

0 Likes