Area Code with Digital Voice
Good-Buddy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got Fios with Digital Voice and now have to enter my Area Code with my local phone numbers.  Why is this?  My neighbor has the same Fios triple play and he doesn't have to use the Area Code.  Why is this?  Can I change from Digital Voice if that is the reason for the Area Code requirement?

0 Likes
Re: Area Code with Digital Voice
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Verizon has two types of phone service:

POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) 

Digital Voice

Pots (traditional phone service that used to come on copper lines and now comes over via fiber if you have FIOS) does not require 10 digit dialing.  The POTS service comes with a few extra features but not many.  It is also taxed differently.

Digital Voice is, for simplicity sakes, Voice Over IP.  The service has been implemented to require 10 digit dialing for all calls, even the same area code.  There is no way around this.  Digital Voice comes with a lot more features than standard POTS service and there is even a web interface to manage the phone service.  

If you can live with the 10 digit dialing the Digital voice is a better value and the way of the future of many phone digital services.

0 Likes
Re: Area Code with Digital Voice
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The US is running out of phone numbers, so the ten digit dialing is the way everyone will be very shortly.

http://www.nanpa.com/nas/public/npasRequiring10DigitReport.do?method=displayNpasRequiring10DigitRepo...

0 Likes