Attempted phone scam
barefoot2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Saturday 12/16..Received call around noon from 720-111-4555. Person speaking in broken English (Indian/Pakistani) told me he got a report that there was a problem with my PC. Bells immediately went off ( Mac User) as I questioned him further, he would not tell me who he represented or what the specific problem was with my PC. I should have played along with him to get more information and fine out what he was really trying to get. He became suspicious and hung up. When I call the number he called from on my phone I got a " phone no longer in service" message. Pass it on to your Verizon FiOS customer base. These folks are up to no good.  

Re: Attempted phone scam
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Good find,  I think consumers can also file complaints with FCC by selecting wired phone

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

0 Likes
CharlieFoxx

Has The same thing happen to me about 6 months ago,  same accent.  I kept them on the line and managed to get more info out of them.  The first tip off was they represented in a left handed way as being connected with Microsoft.  You and I both know that Microsoft doesn't call anyone out of the blue.  They said they had identified a threat to my PC and that I was under a cyber attack at that time and they could put an end to that for $125.00.

I'm sorry to say it was at that point I got **bleep** and insulted the guy and a few generations of his family both living and yet to be born.  At which time we hung up.  I immediately ran all my virus programs and found a virus tracked it back to facebook contact where it originated.  If your a facebook user I would open a new account.

Oh and these guys called me within thirty seconds when I first signed on that day.  Was able to track them back to India but lost them there.

Charlie Foxx

0 Likes
evelynsalt

I got a call from that phone number, too. The call came last week. The caller said they detected a virus in my computer and that it's gonna crash my system down if not removed right away. I already knew it was a scam right away but what caught my attention was that the scammer knew my name, phone number and email address. 

0 Likes
evelynsalt

By the way, I looked up the phone number and this page came up:  http://www.callercenter.com/720-111-4555.html . Apparently, several people also received scam calls, too.

0 Likes
Re: Attempted phone scam JUST HAPPENED TO US
ohsonia

HI , THIS EXACT THING JUST HAPPENED TO US. same exact, indian/pakistani accented voice telling us that " your Verizon is highly infected, and your windows will crash" when i said "I think you are a scammer" they said prove it, and when I said it again, they hung up.

PLEASE VERIZON, SEND A LETTER OUT TO YOUR ELDERLY CUSTOMERS WARNING THEM NOT TO FALL FOR THIS TRICK.  THE ACCOUNT IS IN THE NAME OF MY 80+ YEAR OLD MOTHER, SO IT SEEMS THAT THEY ARE TARGETING ELDERLY SPECIFICALLY.

I would like to see some specific response from Verizon to this issue!

0 Likes