Backlog on repairs in NY?
SoBklyn

Two service reps have told me there is a backlog on repairs in New York City. One said there's been a lot of "weather-related" damage (?!) It may take 2 weeks or more to get a landline repaired. Anyone else encountering delays? heard anything about why?

0 Likes
Re: Backlog on repairs in NY?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is always possible that there is a backlog of work to do from the weather. Having miles upon miles of exposed cable everywhere does add up. There is also something else to keep in mind as well. Compared to past years, not as many repair techs are employed and there is also a CWA Union vs Verizon battle going on right now, with a rally that occurred in front of the Verizon Manhattan Headquarters on Saturday. Lots of things could be contributing to it.

0 Likes
SoBklyn

Yep. I looked into it: Verizon's contracts with the unions are set to expire Saturday, 8/6, at midnight. So the slow response on repair requests could be the result of a job action. And if there's a strike, the delay in getting service restored could well stretch beyond the15 days the company is now committing to.

0 Likes
needalternative

We have lines in the yard and street, no phone service, and Verizon's attitude seems to be "we'll get there when we get there."  We were first told a week to get someone to fix the lines, then a second call got us "supposedly" upgraded to a rush job.  Called back that night for an update to find out the CS person had lied about that, we were not on any list for a rush job.  That CS rep said they'd put us on the rush list for today.  Called today for an update - guess what - they lied too!  We're not on the list for a rush, still down for next week which is a joke considering they're geared up to strike.  LIPA and Cablevision were at the house within a few hours of the call to check on their lines - why does it take Verizon a week?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Because they are on strike!!!!  Gotta love the unions and who suffers in the end, the consumer.

0 Likes
LenRx1

The 2 reasons I was told for the repair backlog are 1) the strike   and 2) the weather.

I was given a date of Sept 8 for service on my line. That is just shy of a month away and it is unacceptable.  I advised them that if I had to wait beyond the end of this week that they can come out to my home and fix the line at their convenience however I likely would not be their customer at that point.

0 Likes
VZisSucks

I think Verizon is acting like it is working in  a third world country such like India.

0 Likes
needalternative

Unfortunately not much to do but wait it seems.  Our service went out a few days before the strike and even then the wait for service was a week.  We were supposed to have someone here by Noon today (11 days after the service went down) and no one has shown yet.  Hearing that the backlog is now up to a month doesn't give me much hope for any return to service anytime soon.

Edited to add - it's now 40 minutes past the latest time they committed to being here.  I've been on hold for 20 minutes now trying to reschedule.  So happy I took a vacation day to sit around waiting for them.... 

0 Likes
bjaret
Enthusiast - Level 2

your not going to get any service right now was just informed today that they are not doing any installations and  they dont have the service technicians to climb the pole to turn on my service . 

0 Likes
manhattanlatin

I am a long-time Verizon customer.  I understand that systems aren't perfect and there will be times when the phone lines go down, but when I have no landline service for THREE WEEKS, I have to have my landline calls forwarded to my cell phone and use up my LIMITED minutes, and I am unable to use the DSL service I recently reinstated, we have a serious problem!

Shouldn't Verizon have a contingency plan in place for when permanent workers strike?!  Why should the customer have to bear the burden of poor service?!  Technicians came to my apartment on Saturday, August 13 (almost two weeks since I placed a service call!), and I was told that the issue is based out of the central office and that I would have my landline service up and running by the end of the day.  Well, that obviously hasn't happened, and I have been trying to get in touch with someone since Monday, August 15 to no avail.

When I finally do get in touch with a rep, they better credit my account for all the service I couldn't use, the minutes on my cell phone, and give me a month of free service on everything!!!

0 Likes