Battery replacement
owengleach1

I recently received a replacement battery for the Verizon backup unit.  I am supposed to remove the red and black wires from the old battery.   But they do not come loose, even with hard pulling.   What's the secret?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Battery replacement
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Take meaty part of your palm against back of battery opposite the terminals. Use your 3 middle fingers to pull the leads off. Dont be scare to break them. They will come with some force. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@owengleach1 wrote:

I recently received a replacement battery for the Verizon backup unit.  I am supposed to remove the red and black wires from the old battery.   But they do not come loose, even with hard pulling.   What's the secret?

Use needle nose pliers. 

If you place the front of the pliers towards the battery nubs, then pull straight back.

this way you have the leverage to pull off the terminals.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Take meaty part of your palm against back of battery opposite the terminals. Use your 3 middle fingers to pull the leads off. Dont be scare to break them. They will come with some force. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Edg1 wrote:

Versus being careful via removing with needle nose pliers. Why break something if you don’t have to?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Pliers are way overkill. You just need a little leverage to pull off the leads. You have more chance of breaker on of the leads with pliers. They asked how to get them off so I told them. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Edg1 wrote:

Pliers are way overkill. You just need a little leverage to pull off the leads. You have more chance of breaker on of the leads with pliers. They asked how to get them off so I told them. 

Hands may work (fingers) but it is better to have a controlled grip on the terminal leads than to put fingers on and possibly yank the terminal leads off, or even cut your fingers.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Its not. There zero need to use pliers to take those leads. If fact the plastic cover on the positive lead is very easy to break if you were to use pliers

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Edg1 wrote:

No. Its not. There zero need to use pliers to take those leads. If fact the plastic cover on the positive lead is very easy to break if you were to use pliers

You can put your fingers on the connectors and rock them back and forth and there is still a chance to break them completely off. This in affect will result in yet more repairs.

in my tool kit I have small needle nose pliers and they remove from terminals quite easy and without damage. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What ever man. If you want to use pliers then use them. You dont need but do what you want. 

0 Likes