Best phone plan for security system?
braigo64
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I first got Fios for my home two years ago, the Triple Play bundle was the best value for me at the time. This included Freedom Essentials.  My home phone line is only used for my home's security system.  I don't make any calls on that line. I'm currently paying $50 a month for Freedom Essentials which is ridiculous because I don't need it.  I'm wonder what the cheapest home phone plan from Verizon is that I can subscribe to instead.  

0 Likes
Re: Best phone plan for security system?
mi4johns
Enthusiast - Level 2

that would be a measured-rate phone plan which can normally be had for around $10/month. you get charged for every call, but a security system only has to call out at most, once a day for diagnostics checks, and it's usually less than a minute call. even if you get charged the maximum 4 cents a call, you're looking at a whopping $1.20/month.

0 Likes
Re: Best phone plan for security system?
EricJRW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last time I looked, the least expensive Verizon phone was about $10 (as mentioned above) and did come with 25 free calls and then 4 cents per call after that.

The real question is it still POTS-like?

I'm moving to a new house, and per ADTand Brinks (Broadview) their service does not work with some Verizon products. I suspect they mean the VOIP product (Digital Voice), but I'm not really sure. They really want to see a plain old telephone service (POTS), aka twisted copper pair, to be sure the system works. I still don't know if Freedom Essentials looks like POTS.

Getting this stuff coordinated is a pain. I was all set to use Freedom Essentials, but then I was told Digital Voice would save me some money in monthly taxes. Now I'm trying to figure that out.

0 Likes