Connect a second FIOS Landline
David1605

I have FIOS Telephone, TV, and Internet.  I have one phone line and soon will need a second line.  My ONT has a space labeled

Line 1 and there are 4 plastic tabs where 2 phone wires can be connected to each tab.  My existing line is connected to the first

tab.  The 3 remaining tabs are vacant.  Above this line of tabs is 4 more plastic tabs and it is labeled line 2.

I plan to ask the central office to activate a second line and then connect it myself.  My question - Is the second line connected in the first tab in the row labeled line 2 or is it connected on the second tab of line 1?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connect a second FIOS Landline - Wiring Second FiOS DV Line
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@David1605 wrote:

... I have one phone line and ... need a second ... existing line is connected to the first tab.  The 3 remaining tabs are vacant.  Above this line of tabs is 4 more plastic tabs and it is labeled line 2 ... Is the second line connected in the first tab in the row labeled line 2 or is it connected on the second tab of line 1?

The latter.

You are probably referring to the quick-connect device inside ONT.  The four "Line 1" tabs are used to connect 4 separate devices (all using Line 1) to the Line 1 input.  Same applies to Line 2.  You can easily locate the corresponding phone jacks inside the ONT (just below where the main coax and the existing Line 1 wiring is now connected).  The jacks themselves are labeled  Line 1 and Line 2.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@David1605 wrote:

... I have one phone line and ... need a second ... existing line is connected to the first tab.  The 3 remaining tabs are vacant.  Above this line of tabs is 4 more plastic tabs and it is labeled line 2 ... Is the second line connected in the first tab in the row labeled line 2 or is it connected on the second tab of line 1?

The latter.

You are probably referring to the quick-connect device inside ONT.  The four "Line 1" tabs are used to connect 4 separate devices (all using Line 1) to the Line 1 input.  Same applies to Line 2.  You can easily locate the corresponding phone jacks inside the ONT (just below where the main coax and the existing Line 1 wiring is now connected).  The jacks themselves are labeled  Line 1 and Line 2.

0 Likes
David1605

Thanks for your help.  I just started with FiOS in April so I believe I have a newer model ONT.  I haven't asked that the second line be activated but I will shortly and I'll connect it the way you suggest.  By the way, the small plastic tabs have 2 holes to push the wires through. One is labeled T and the other R.

Thanks again and stay safe in the storm. I'm in Richmond and things will go downhill for us today but I think

New Jersey may have a more difficult time of it when the storm arrives there.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@David1605 wrote:

Thanks for your help ... I'll connect it the way you suggest.  By the way, the small plastic tabs have 2 holes to push the wires through. One is labeled T and the other R ...

You're welcome.  The T and R designations are telco-speak for "tip" and "ring" which correspond to the traditional wiring common to phones.  In general the polarity is not important, except in certain specialized applications (alarms, for example).  Incidentally you may not actually have to use the quick-connect block itself if you can just plug directly into the Line 1 and Line 2 slots in the ONT.  In my own setup, I have a standard RJ11 cord that rouns from each of the main phone ports in the ONT to a 2-phone distribution panel.  See for example:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Networking/Cmon-Show-Us-Your-Network/m-p/481733#M765
0 Likes