DSL works but phone doesn't
AmyButterfly

I have copper line phone service. My phone is displaying "no line", but my DSL connection is working. What is more puzzling is that they are both from the same wall jack via a signal splitter with a DSL filter between it and the phone.

I tried hooking the phone up directly, both with and without the filter, but the "no line" message doesn't change.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: DSL works but phone doesn't
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Phone uses DC and AC signals up to a little below 4KHz.  DSL is pure AC operating above 4KHz.  It is quite possible for DSL to work while phone doesn't.

You should trouble shoot the phone issue the same way as you would without DSL on the line.  Find the NID (network interface device) and see if dial tone is present there.  If it isn't, call Verizon.  If it is, check your inside wiring and phones.  Start by unplugging all but one phone.  If it works, then plug each one back in.  You may find a defective phone or jack.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Re: DSL works but phone doesn't
weez12171

Same thing here.  I called Verizon and scheduled a tech to come out because I troubleshooted every possibility,  including th box outside. The night before they were to come out, mthe phone began to work. I canceled the tech. Wouldn't you know the next day phone was out again. So, I called Verizon and they did a line test. I picked up the phone while customer service was still on my cell and the phone worked. She said that the test sent just enough signal to jolt the line and suggested that if the phone goes out again to log onto internet and run a line test. Well, phone is out again! Checked 3 different phones outside at box again, nothing. So, I did the line test at least 10 times in 5 hrs, NOTHING. Shortly Verizon is getting NOTHING from me!!!!! I've been having trouble with them since Jan 2015 when I added phone service to my EXISTING internet for $5 a month for 2 years and they hooked the phone up on its own account at full price and I never received a notice until they emailed me that my service will be suspended if I didn't pay a balance of $122. Sure, the phone worked then, when they thought they were getting money for something I did not order! And yes, I did report Verizon to the BBB!!!

0 Likes