Dialing area code for local call - is this normal?
swechsler

Just had my FIOS triple play installed over the weekend. In the recent past I've used VOIP providers Optimum Voice, Vonage, Packet8, MagicJack and Ooma, and FIOS is the only one that makes me dial my area code to make a local call (I'm in area code 516, where it is not normally necessary to do so).

Is this a bug in the system, and if so, are there any plans to fix it? When I first signed up with Optimum Voice they had a similar problem, but that was 9 years ago!

0 Likes
Re: Dialing area code for local call - is this normal?
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Its becoming the norm, yes. The whole US will be moving that way. Apparently we are running out of phone numbers in the US.
0 Likes
swechsler

But it's not the norm for my area - other VOIP providers are not forcing 10 digit dialing.

0 Likes
crambo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got so used to the annoying 10 digit dialing with all of my verizon and sprint phones (cell, home, work), I never tried my vonage without the area code.  So, upon reading this, I did.  

In the DC area, with a Vonage phone that has a DC area code, I can dial my 7 digit VA (different area code) home phone number and it works fine. That's how Bell Atalantic worked years ago, before Verizon. 

I always wondered why Verizon doesn't take advantage of their computers.

0 Likes
unhappybob

It is disgraceful that when I signed up for FIOS that I was  not informed that I would have to us my area code to call my next door neighbor!!! My realtives that use Fios do not have to do that. They advertise like everything is local buy when I called to complain I'm on the phone with people in Texas who do not even work for Verizon!!!  I will be call the Public Service Commission, Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs on Monday. The Technical Support  people who I waited on hold 15 minutes to speak to were rude and say if I pay more I can have this issue resolved!!!  Bait and Switch if I ever heard it!!

0 Likes
tzzmnndvl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I honestly don't see the big deal about having to dial 10 numbers. It may seem like an inconvenience but the whole country is getting to that point. It really only takes a second at most to hit those 3 extra buttons, don't see why it's so horrible.

0 Likes