Digital Answering Machine Records Hangups on FIOS Phone
Bry_88
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have Verizon FIOS phone service with the Verizon voicemail service disabled (my family does not want to use VZ voicemail for several reasons).

Since I have switched to FIOS I have noticed that my answering machine now records about 3 seconds of silence, then a 'click', and finally about 3 seconds of dial tone for every hang up call.  I don't need to explain how annoying it is to have to listen to all of these non-messages, just in case someone did leave a message.

Testing I performed shows that these callers are hanging up during the message, but before the answering machine 'beep', not after the 'beep' while the machine was recording.

I had another commerical VOIP service for years prior to this, so I don't know if my phone did the same thing on the old copper system switches, but it didn't do it on the VOIP service.

Any ideas if there are remedies to this?  I am afraid to buy another answering machine and get the same result.

0 Likes
Re: Digital Answering Machine Records Hangups on FIOS Phone
numaris
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have this problem. I do not have VM, just my answering machine. So very annoying! Hangups are recorded, triggering the constant beeping alert, requiring me to listen to NOTHING messages. I would love to dump this digital voice and go back to my previous freedom plan!  Can't any Verizon reps out there give a solution for this?

Re: Digital Answering Machine Records Hangups on FIOS Phone
Bry_88
Enthusiast - Level 1

Still having the problem!  I tried for almost an hour on the "online chat" to no avail.

Verizon kept telling me that the problem is my answering machine and there is nothing wrong with my line.  I asked about the Calling-Party Control signal (CPC) and they just telling me that my line "tests" fine (remote test).  Then tell me the delay and duration of my CPC to be sure that my answeing machine is at fault.

I do not believe that I am getting one (a CPC signal) at all! (Don't need one for Voicemail, but automated machines such as answering machines rely on this inaudible signal).

PROBLEM IS NOT RESOLVED!

Verizon - Please fix this signalling problem on FIOS Digital Voice.  If it is not a network wide problem, then your support staff failed to resolve my issue during the call.

0 Likes