Directory Service --- Free versus Billable
JoeAl

The Verizon web site states that directory assistance using area code plus 555-1212 costs $1.99 per call. Further, it mentions 411 directory service but does not mention a fee.  However I discovered from Customer Service that the policy is that one usage per month is free; but use three directory calls and one gets billed $1.50 per call for a total of $4.50. Charging for services and not warning about the charges seems to be a bad businesss practice showing a poor customer service orientation.  What are Verizon customers doing for directory service.  Are they subscribing to "people finder services"?  Is there any free directory service any longer?

As a longstanding Optimum customer I used their free 411 service frequently. I am shocked that Verizon chooses to be non-competitive in this regard.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Directory Service --- Free versus Billable
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@JoeAl wrote:

The Verizon web site states that directory assistance using area code plus 555-1212 costs $1.99 per call. Further, it mentions 411 directory service but does not mention a fee.  However I discovered from Customer Service that the policy is that one usage per month is free; but use three directory calls and one gets billed $1.50 per call for a total of $4.50. Charging for services and not warning about the charges seems to be a bad businesss practice showing a poor customer service orientation.  What are Verizon customers doing for directory service.  Are they subscribing to "people finder services"?  Is there any free directory service any longer?

As a longstanding Optimum customer I used their free 411 service frequently. I am shocked that Verizon chooses to be non-competitive in this regard.

Probably searching the internet. That's how I find numbers these days.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

For Free 411 try 800-373-3411.  You must listen to a quick commerical first but it will do search for business or residential.

The other option is something like superpages.com which I use on my desktop and IPHONE.  You can search business or persons too.

Jim

0 Likes
JoeAl

I was leaning towards using the Internet, but I do not know of any web sites that reliably give free information.  Many provide a tidbit of free information but then are looking for a subscription for full information access, which is often more information than one is looking for.

Do you know of any sure-fire web sites to get reliable, free directory assistance?.

I was thinking that asking AARP might be a good idea, especially for old-timers on  pensions  who have to pinch their pennies and conserve their scarce resources.

Also, it seems to me that if Cablevision can give free 411 service to its customers that Verizon should be competitive and do the same.

Online access to telephone directories seems like a simple computer application for a vendor like Verizon to provide to members.  With such a service, it would not be necessary to staff the lines for audio response. Or an automated audio response system would be another possibility.

0 Likes
JoeAl

Thanks.  I'll give those alternatives a try.

0 Likes
JoeAl

I gave superpages.com a shot, but I was not given the phone number for a friend living in Little Neck. Instead, I was given an Intelius screen to subscribe to get more information --- and the rates were very pricey!!! 

Here is the  promo, which is too rich for my blood.

The Special Price is available with an Intelius Premier trial membership. Intelius Premier includes unlimited Peoples Searches, Phone Searches, and Email Searches, as well as Criminal Checks at 50% savings. After the 2 day trial membership, you will be charged the regular membership fee of $19.95 per month, plus tax where applicable, so long as you remain a member. You may cancel at anytime. If you choose the Special Price, you can see a complete description of the service and the detailed Offer Details, including Automatic Renewal Terms on the next page. You will have a chance to remove the trial membership and pay the Regular Price.

0 Likes
JoeAl

I gave Whitepages.com at the recommendation of a friend who had a success yesterday, and I had mixed results. Looking up the husband, I got a phone number for free, but when I tried to look up the wife, I got a teaser with some limited information to prove that they had the right person located and a solicitation to subscribe to Peoplesmart to get the telephone number. The Peoplesmart offer was less costly than the Intelius offer but still more than one should have to pay for an electronic telephone book.

0 Likes
garyjulian

Thanks for the number.

0 Likes