Do I Need a Cross-Connect Terminal with FIOS?
TurtlePaint
Enthusiast - Level 1

A few years ago we got FIOS.  From the FIOS unit, the telephone line output is connected to a legacy AMP 775183-8 Quiet Front cross-connect terminal that has been part of my telephone service for years -- way before we got FIOS.  The photo of the unit is on the left hand side of the first page of this pdf file:

http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=C177&DocType=DS&DocL...

The cross-connect terminal seems to be a legacy component suited for copper lines coming into the house versus fiber optics. Do I still need this unit with FIOS or can I connect my three telephones directly to FIOS box output line and discard the cross-connect terminal unit? 

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Do I Need a Cross-Connect Terminal with FIOS?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@TurtlePaint wrote:

... From the FIOS unit, the telephone line output is connected to a legacy AMP 775183-8 Quiet Front cross-connect terminal  ... The cross-connect terminal seems to be a legacy component suited for copper lines ... Do I still need this unit with FIOS or can I connect my three telephones directly to FIOS box output line and discard the cross-connect terminal unit? ...

The cross-connect device does not seem to serve any purpose in your current layout.  It can be discarded, assuming you have a satisfactory method for connecting the other telephone wiring to the ONT.  Barring additional information, I'd suggest some sort of punch down block designed specifically for telephone use.

In my own layout, I use Cat5e for all cabling, including phones.  Below is a photo of the phone network.  It may seem a bit complex, but that is because there are two separate lines, about 15 handsets, alarm components, home automation components, etc.

View solution in original post

Re: Do I Need a Cross-Connect Terminal with FIOS?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@TurtlePaint wrote:

... From the FIOS unit, the telephone line output is connected to a legacy AMP 775183-8 Quiet Front cross-connect terminal  ... The cross-connect terminal seems to be a legacy component suited for copper lines ... Do I still need this unit with FIOS or can I connect my three telephones directly to FIOS box output line and discard the cross-connect terminal unit? ...

The cross-connect device does not seem to serve any purpose in your current layout.  It can be discarded, assuming you have a satisfactory method for connecting the other telephone wiring to the ONT.  Barring additional information, I'd suggest some sort of punch down block designed specifically for telephone use.

In my own layout, I use Cat5e for all cabling, including phones.  Below is a photo of the phone network.  It may seem a bit complex, but that is because there are two separate lines, about 15 handsets, alarm components, home automation components, etc.