FIOS - Adding an extra (POTS) telephone drop in the house (ONT 1000 JI)
groucho2

Hi folks,

Our ONT is a model 1000 JI.  On the customer side, it has 4 telephone "Test" ports just above 4 punch-down type telephone ports for twisted pair.  If I want to just add an extra "drop" in our house (not a new number - just another extension),  I assume I can just add a another chunk of line to the next punch-down and run it to a new wall extension, right?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS - Adding an extra (POTS) telephone drop in the house (ONT 1000 JI)
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.

These additional connection jacks are for additional phone lines if you have a second, third, or fourth number.

What you'd want to do would to find another existing wall jack and open it and splice a new wire onto the existing wire (color for color) and run it to your new location ... you could also do this by cutting the line at some convenient point after it leaves the ONT and installing a new punch down / terminal block to which you could run all the wiring.   These can be picked up at most home improvement stores.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS - Adding an extra (POTS) telephone drop in the house (ONT 1000 JI)
groucho2

Thanks Lasagna,

That was my second choice.  Just wan't sure which way to go.  The ONT is right next to where I want to make the drop.  Figured if I could run it from htere, it'd just be convenient.  The next wall jack isn't too far away.

Thanks again.

0 Likes