FIOS Digital Voice plan can't receive incoming phone calls
mosifchin

On 9/10/12, switched from a legacy "Freedom" plan to digital voice with a few neat new features. Had FIOS Internet and I'm guessing that on 9/10, the phones went to FIOS as well although I thought they were already set to FIOS. At any rate, we had no issues at first but last weekend noticed that the phone started ringing 2 times before dropping the call. If I pick up on the second ring, I hear what callers hear which is a sound like the sound of a fax modem picking up. I do not have a fax attached to that line, I didn't set up call forwarding or Verizon Voice Mail. In fact, if I disengage my home voice mail, the problem persists but on the first ring!

Additional info: Plugged a corded phone into the phone ports in the ONT outside the house. There are 4 phone ports and two of them have wires connecting to them. I then used my cell phone to call my house number and when the phone was plugged into the first of the two with wires, it just rang and rang but the house phone inside did not. When I picked up the corded phone, the call connected.

Then I plugged into the second of the two with wires connected and dialed the number again with my cell. It rang on the corded and the house phone and what I heard was that screeching sound at the second ring.  The other two phone ports with no wires didn't seem to do anything.

I have a tech coming tomorrow to research but in the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts or ideas to resolve?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Digital Voice plan can't receive incoming phone calls
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Please let us know the outcome of this. Another thing to not overlook is a multifunction printer. They have built in fax machines that could possibly be causing this as well.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Digital Voice plan can't receive incoming phone calls
jbarko1

Has there been any updates on this?  I have exactly the same problem and am hoping it's something easy.  I also don't have a fax machine and have turned voicemail off (have a physical answering machine).

0 Likes