FIOS phone vs. FIOS Digital Voice?
sch21236

My term contract for FIOS voice is expiring and i am thinking about switching to Digital Voice but I have a few questions that the sales people can't/won't answer.  Can anyone help me?

What is the difference between FIOS phone (Verizon/FIOS Freedom Essentials) and FIOS Digital Voice - I'm not really worried about the extras, I'm talking about the technology - since I already have FIOS at the house (phone and Internet) what new/difference stuff will I notice?  Will there be a new box/hook ups?  The sales people told me that my current FIOS phone is really carried over the old copper lines and this isn't what Verizon's web site says about FIOS - so I can't really rely on the sales staff.

I had multiple problems when I switched over from copper to FIOS so I am kind of scared about changing anything for fear of even more problems - what is the track record for Verizon making these changes?

I have a second copper line (non-FIOS) at my house, if I switch my FIOS line to digital voice, will this be a problem?  At the original FIOS install it tooks weeks to get this line back up.  Will Verizon automtically switch the copper line to FIOS/Dgital Voice?

It looks like each Verizon rep I talk to either dosn't know or says something wrong - this does not give me great confidence - is there someone/some office that I can talk to that really knows what is going on and not just tyring to say anything they have to to make the sale?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS phone vs. FIOS Digital Voice?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

My term contract for FIOS voice is expiring and I am thinking about switching to Digital Voice but I have a few questions that the sales people can't/won't answer.  Can anyone help me?

What is the difference between FIOS phone (Verizon/FIOS Freedom Essentials) and FIOS Digital Voice - I'm not really worried about the extras, I'm talking about the technology - since I already have FIOS at the house (phone and Internet) what new/difference stuff will I notice?  Will there be a new box/hook ups?  The sales people told me that my current FIOS phone is really carried over the old copper lines and this isn't what Verizon's web site says about FIOS - so I can't really rely on the sales staff.

The physical setup in your house is the same. A tech will not need to come out. With either product, its a fiber optic cable coming from us to the side of your house. A copper line is then connected to our FIOS box on the side of your house so all the existing jacks and everything inside your house works the same.

I had multiple problems when I switched over from copper to FIOS so I am kind of scared about changing anything for fear of even more problems - what is the track record for Verizon making these changes?

Extremely good 🙂 nothing is 100% perfect so there are very few people who experience problems.

I have a second copper line (non-FIOS) at my house, if I switch my FIOS line to digital voice, will this be a problem?  At the original FIOS install it tooks weeks to get this line back up.  Will Verizon automtically switch the copper line to FIOS/Dgital Voice?

Nothing will be touched on the second line. Just tell them you are changing the one line. 

It looks like each Verizon rep I talk to either dosn't know or says something wrong - this does not give me great confidence - is there someone/some office that I can talk to that really knows what is going on and not just tyring to say anything they have to to make the sale?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
The difference between Phone and Digital Voice is nothing more than PSTN vs. VoIP. Digital Voice is more or less a Voice over IP Product, which allows for you to avoid taxes that are associated with the Public Switched Telephone Network. Granted, you're starting to throw more eggs in one basket, but the way the service is delivered is no different than how your current FiOS Phone service is being delivered. It's just the medium it travels through back at the Central Office. As far as problems go for Digital Voice? Well, as far as I know Dial-up modems won't work too well with it. Also, be aware of the 10 digit dialing that comes with Digital Voice. They can make it into 7 digit dialing if you have phones that don't automatically input an area code, but that might just land you back onto the PSTN.
0 Likes
sch21236

Well, I knew it was too good to be true - Verizon upgraded the service to FIOS Digital Voice over the weekend and now the second, copper line is disconnected - not just no dial tone, but according to the recording when you dial it, it is actually disconnected.  I called Verizon about this and they said they don't allow copper lines anymore so I had to move the line to FIOS.  When I said that I wanted to cancel my order per the 30 day guarantee, they said that they don't honor the guarantee if I was already a Verizon customer.  I don't know why this is so difficult.  Don't they want my money?  I'll try for a day or two to call Verizon and let them fix this, otherwise I'll just disconnect it all and stick with my cell phone.

0 Likes
needsomehelp2

did the problem every get resolved?

0 Likes

After days of trying regular customer service to get my line re-connected, I ended up having to contact my County Executive's office who gave me his personal Verizon contact (some VP) and my copper line (the second, disconnected line) was back up and running in minutes after contacting this VP.  This VP switched my second line to a second, separate account so this problem wouldn't happen again (he thought).  Two comments - Verizon should be ashamed of how their sales and service reps will say things that are clearly not true - like telling me over and over and over again that it was "not allowed" and even once that it was "illegal" to have a copper line with a Fios line - even though I already had one for years and their web site said it was suppose to be no problem.  And also, Verizon must really be pushing Fios over copper because later the copper line went out and Verizon showed up on a repair order and they were going to switch the copper line to Fios without even telling me.  I can handle technological mistakes - things happen - but don't lie to me and the blatant disregard for customer service was shocking (like the service tech who first installed Fios and who walked out of my house knowing my second line was just cut and telling me that he couldn't do anything about it and that I had to call Verizon to get it back on and that he didn't know the phone number to Verizon).

0 Likes