Fax machine does not receive in new house
robotball

Just moved into a brand new home. I have Verizon phone service (no FIOS), and for some reason my MFP fax will not receive.  I have tested it on other phone lines and it works, however in my house it does not.  I have run the self-test on the machine and it passes all the tests, but when the phone rings it does not pick up.  What could be different about the phone lines in my house versus another house?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Fax machine does not receive in new house
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It could be the polarity of the pair of wires in the jack.   Most modern devices are no longer sensitive to the polarity of tip/ring, but some still are.    If the fax has a handset on it, can you pick it up and hear a dial tone?  If so, can you actually dial a number?  If not, sounds like polarity.  

The other possibility -- are you sure you have the phone line plugged into the right jack on the fax machine (some machines have two jacks -- one for the phone line and one for a handset that can be connected to the machine if desired -- I can't count how many times I've made that silly little error and misread the icons on the jacks and reverse the things).

0 Likes