Has Anyone Else Been Forced to Accept FIOS Because Verizon Doesn't Want To Repair Copper Line?
BSUHoosier

Technician came out today and concluded there's a problem with the wire coming from the pole in my neighbor's yard which connects to the box on the side of my house. Said neither he nor his supervisor believes that Verizon is going to want to replace/repair the wire in view of the fact that Verizon is trying to get everyone in my area switched over to FIOS. Technician also advised that Verizon is unable to access the easement in neighbor's yard in order to make the repair. The technician told me that I would have to contact code enforcement and/or go to court to secure access to the easement for Verizon to make this repair.  When it became clear to the technician that I wasn't going to switch to FIOS, thus eliminating the need for Verizon to repair the line, he closed out my repair ticket.  

Doesn't Verizon have an obligation to repair and/or replace this wire?

What are my rights in this situation?

If Verizon is unable to gain access to an easement in order to make a needed repair, isn't it their responsibility to seek assistance or pursue legal action against the property owner denying them access?

Does the technician have the authority to close a repair ticket without completing the repair?

Since placing the repair request on Tuesday, I have had to endure a significant amount of pressure, brow-beating and bullying from Verizon (call on Wednesday, as well as two phone calls from technician and order taker today). I find all of this reprehensible and completely unsatisfactory.

I do not want FIOS.  Here's what I do want:  I want Verizon to repair or replace the bad wire and restore my service as soon as possible.  PLEASE!

0 Likes
Re: Has Anyone Else Been Forced to Accept FIOS Because Verizon Doesn't Want To Repair Copper Line?
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases".  You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information.  This should be checked on a frequent basis  as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Re: Has Anyone Else Been Forced to Accept FIOS Because Verizon Doesn't Want To Repair Copper Line?
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello BSUHoosier,

That's great that the service is back up and working for you again. Let us know if you ever need help with anything else in a new public post.

Thank you,

-Jeramy

0 Likes
VerizonCoprUser

I have the same question. I am a copper user. I returned home yesterday and found my telephone non-functional. Verizon refused to repair it and told me my only choice was to switch to FIOS.

For medical reasons, it is very risky for me to be without phone service. I have now been without service at least two days, and Verizon refuses to repair the line.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hello VerizonCoprUser,

Unfortunately due to non response we will close the private thread. Please let us know in a new public post if you ever need help with the FiOS service let us know in a new public post.

Thank you,

-Jeramy

0 Likes
loosing

I am sorry what happened to you, but I am grad to see your post.  I have the cooper line and my phone has not been working.

I will be careful about been forced to accept FIOS when a technician comes in.  Good to know and best of luck.

0 Likes
George141

Hi,

Yes I have experienced this same issue. We have copper line and when it rains or snows (as it so often does these days) the phone is usless. Tho noise on the line is so bad you can not even hear messages.

I called verizon and after 3 or 4 verizong reps trying to convince me to move to FIOS I eventually got a tech to call out. Wher he got here he too tried to convince me to move to FIOS and then after an hour on to his supervisor said that they would not fix the problem with the copper and we need to move to FIOS.

They do not offer the FIOS bundle in my area (TV/nternet/phone) so its of no benefit to get move. 

I am currently looking into options to discontinue Verison services and find an alternate supplier.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To put it on the record, most in my area who are in a FiOS area and are still on copper are being moved over to the Fiber. The FiOS-enabled areas both have copper that is in great need of replacement due to age, and are both areas that have gone through heavy investment for installing the Fiber network.

Unless there is a major price difference, or you're greatly concerned about the battery backup requirement for the phone service to work when the power is out, I'd take the Fiber. You won't have issues with static when it rains, you'll have better voice clarity matching that of the Cable companies or VoIP providers, and you'll have a choice that will be maintained for for foreseeable future.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

More things are in play then just not wanting to repair copper lines.  I know that nothing was wrong with copper in my area of LI,NY, but they had sent out notices to everyone in my neighborhood before Sandy hit, that they were going to be moved to fiber (note not necessary FIOS).  After Sandy this never happened because they had too much damage in other areas and NYC to fix.

0 Likes