How is it possible for someone to call using my home phone number?
Birdlover1

We have a landline phone.  This a.m. at 10:24 a.m. my caller ID informed me that someone was calling using my home phone number?  When I picked it up and said hello,  I could hear noise, but no one responded. The caller ID gave the name of my deceased (for 10 years) father-in-law?????

Has my system been hacked?  Please tell me what the Heck is going on?  This is very creepy and I want it to stop!

0 Likes
Re: How is it possible for someone to call using my home phone number?
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

There was no hack. It is much like emails that "spoof" your email address and send out spam from what appears to be your email.  In this case it is a scammer or robo call that has spoofed the phone number, likely from a very old list they got access to.

0 Likes
Birdlover1

Thank you!

0 Likes
bubbagump1

for almost one week now - the calls and messages portion of fios site - (my phone is turned off due to a stroke in family) i check my calls every few days online.....so the calls and messages states tht since the 23 of this month - multiple phone calls all hours of the day; are being made from my home phone, to 311 and 211...all hours middle of nite etc - no one is ever home when these calls are made out from my #. ????????

i called verizon today - they didnt have any answer fo rme.......

soooo?????what do i do?  i have taken the batteries out of my handheld unit see if that works.

0 Likes
manhattanNYC1
Contributor - Level 2

forget it, you lost nothing

0 Likes
bubbagump1
it even happens when phone battery and phone disconnected..????? y
0 Likes
Birdlover1

I only had this happen one time.  No one else had a solution for me....but I was pretty sure the caller ID had been fooled with somehow(?)  I did nothing different with the phone and it hasn't happened again.  Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

0 Likes
manhattanNYC1
Contributor - Level 2

set up Do Not Distrub couple days,

0 Likes