Junk Phone Calls
RJ127
Enthusiast - Level 1

The day my phone switched over from Time-Warner to FIOS I started getting several junk phone calls every day.  They have continued every day, all day, since I started with FIOS (approx. 2 months).  The numbers are rarely duplicated, so adding them to my blocked list wouldn't help much.  We have been on the Do Not Call Registry for a couple years.

Any idea why would this happen?  Does FIOS instantly sell my number to everyone on earth?  Any suggestions for getting these calls to stop.

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
Re: Junk Phone Calls
Justin46
Legend

@RJ127 wrote:

The day my phone switched over from Time-Warner to FIOS I started getting several junk phone calls every day.  They have continued every day, all day, since I started with FIOS (approx. 2 months).  The numbers are rarely duplicated, so adding them to my blocked list wouldn't help much.  We have been on the Do Not Call Registry for a couple years.

Any idea why would this happen?  Does FIOS instantly sell my number to everyone on earth?  Any suggestions for getting these calls to stop.

Thanks for any help.

I can't answer the why question, but the solution, at least for me, has been to use a free (non-Verizon) service called NOMOROBO. As long as you have the FiOS Digital Voice service, you will automatically have the required Simultaneous Ring feature available for NOMOROBO to work. I have been using NOMOROBO for a year or so, I find it great, they block probably 95 to 98% or more of the robocalls now, the only thing I hear is one ring (I also see the call on the TV) then blessed silence.

You can search for NOMOROBO here on the forums to find other threads where people have reported using it, I don't remember seeing any negative reports. Plus the reason I ever gave it a try in the first place was I read a number of very positive articles on various websites.

As I said, the service is free, no cost for anything period, easy to sign up, easy to discontinue if you don't want to continue using it. I highly recommend it.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

Beta63
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree 100% about NoMoRobo. I have been using it for several months.

Anyone on their website that has a problem with a phone number enters the number in the database.
If a number in the database calls you, it rings their number, as well as yours, and it is blocked.
If you enter a number in the database, you will get an email telling you that the number will be researched, and added to the database if they agree. That way, not just any number can be added.
I had a call blocker device, but I disconnected it, and it is sitting on a shelf, collecting dust.

manhattanNYC1
Contributor - Level 2
you can set up DO NOT DISTURB LIST, even your girl friend or wife's number not in list, it can not be incoming through, but it is only 10 numbers.
0 Likes
RJ127
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm ready to smash my phone into tiny bits, so I'll definitely give NOMOROBO a try.  Thank you very much for the info, Justin.

0 Likes