Landline Digital Voice Java error
Carneno
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

This started about a week ago.

When I attempt to listen to my voice mail online, it gives this error:

If I click on "Error. Click for details", I get this error:

If I click on "Details", I see this screen:

Does anybody else know how to fix this problem?

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and the latest Java update.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

0 Likes
Re: Landline Digital Voice Java error
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is due to a recent update enforcing stricter security settings. Ideally, Verizon would have to update their Java Applet to have the required permissions to run. For now, you can work around this problem by doing the following:

Go to Start > All Programs > Java > Configure Java. Hit the "Security" tab. From here, you have two options. One is more secure, one is more convenient.

More Secure:

Click on the "Edit Site List" button next to the Whitelist box. Click the Add button. Enter in the web address http://www36.verizon.com/ or whatever shows up in the error message. You do not need the full URL; just the HTTP/HTTPS domain. From here, click Add again. Then hit OK.

When you save the Java control panel settings by hitting OK to close it, you should now be able to reload the webpage you were trying to open and access the content.

More Convenient:

In the Security tab, move the Security slider to "Medium" and then hit OK. Note, this does decrease the amount of security Java provides, but this should fix the problem you're having.

Just be aware, this is only a workaround for the current version of Java 7, Update 51 for both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms. In a future update if Verizon doesn't patch this, the workaround will not work since Oracle will be blocking applets downright for not being packaged right.

The process on Mac differs slightly. Just go to System Preferenaces, and pick Java from the list of options. The control panel will open separately. This only applies if you are using Oracle's distribution of Java, and not the Apple provided version of Java.

For Linux systems, I really suggest using OpenJDK.

Carneno
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Smith.

Thanks for your help with this.

Your suggestion only on the Windows 8 laptop I have and it only worked using the More Convenient Security slider to "Medium" option.

Using the More Secure option on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 machine do not work.  Neither option works on the Windows 7 machine.

Thanks,

Tony

0 Likes
Carneno
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to let anybody know, Verizon support just informed me that this issue will be fixed tomorrow.

Tony

0 Likes
Carneno
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, it's been two days now and the issue is still not fixed.

So much for "issue will be fixed tomorrow".

Tony

0 Likes
bogdanmi1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also having this problem.  "Fixed tomorrow," indeed.

0 Likes
Carneno
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bogdanmi,

I received a call from Verizon tech support today.

This problem will be fixed when Java comes out with another update.

Verizon does not know when that will be.

Tony

0 Likes
zuijlen
Enthusiast - Level 2

The secure option actually worked for me (Windows 7, 64-bit) so I gave a kudo to smith6612!  Smiley Very Happy

Very, very sloppy on the part of Verizon though!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear the fix I gave is helping with this issue. Thanks for the heads up on what's working too.

Hoping Verizon updates their appet soon. Eventually the application will break all together when an important Java update is released.

0 Likes