Landline goes out every time it rains!
jham1

Very frustrated with Verizon landline service. I'm in Lakeland, Florida. Every time it rains I get  (very loud) static or no dial tone.

This has been going on for years. For a number of years I was told FIOS was coming within the year so they would not be replacing the old, spliced up, worn out cable that runs through the neighborhood. Now FIOS is on hold but still no plans to replace the old cable. I typically get a one week due date  - even when no dial tone - and then they call and extend the due date right before my scheduled date.  I have referred the issue upward repeatedly. Only once did a supervisor contact me but there was no resolution - only that 'FIOS is coming'.  HELP! What happened to the Public Service Commission? I understand that problems can occur but this has gone on for years! Is Verizon allowed to provided crummy service/response with no recourse??

They don't see to care if they have our business or not.............

I have a repair order in now - called yesterday when static started because I knew it would get worse as more rain was in the forecast. Louder static today and now no dial tone. I am getting cut off repeatedly by the VZN Repair office when calling from my cell phone and I only get so far on the website and it just stops.

0 Likes
Re: Landline goes out every time it rains!
Travis_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Jham. I'm sorry to hear of the recurring issues you're experiencing. I've sent you a private message so we can gather your information. I look forward to helping you resolve this.

0 Likes
Hubo_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

HI jham,

I have sent you a private message in regards to your issue.  Please respond back as soon as you can.

Thanks

0 Likes
tzzmnndvl
Enthusiast - Level 3

that awkward moment when two different people send the same person messages in the same minute...lol

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tzzmnndvl wrote:

that awkward moment when two different people send the same person messages in the same minute...lol

I see it happen all the time at some other forums I visit!

bobush

Our phone line would go out also and verizon would temporary repair. Our friend whose mother was on medalert and on the same system as ours would also go out at the same time. When the line was not working the alert would work not also and so she was without help if something would happen. Our friend contacted the local congressman's office and magically the line was fixed for good. If you know someone like this get them to call their local congress's office and get the same results or you could call as a concerned friend.

0 Likes
Arfrabarb

I have the same exact problem, both with the rain disrupting service and the poor customer support. This has gone on for years, they come and replace some tiny piece on the telephone pole, which isn't really the problem. Whatever they do out on the pole to potentially solve this problem they've done about 4 times now. The old wire infrastructure is just poorly maintained, which could be true in several areas for a lot of different reasons. Verizon will not admit the telephone infrastructure sucks, or no one would buy it, which is probably why they keep saying FIOS is coming. I could care less about that fiber optic crap, they need to do more daily maintenance on lines.

And don't lie to your congressman to get anything fixed.

0 Likes
deltasweetiepi

I have had this problem before and it was resolved by replacing the wire at the pole that the birds had destroyed (at least that is what I was told).  It is possible that water is getting into the telephone box on the side of the house and shorting out the phones during heavy  rain.  Since most rains occur on weekends and nights Verizon may not get to see that and by the time they arrive to assertain the problem it is not happening anymore.  Just a thought since I work in IT.

0 Likes
mahnrut
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is many years after the first poster on this topic, but after 45 years with our copper landline which we want to keep despite it costing us more for double play with comcast than triple play with digital phone, we have had several repairs in the area during the past month. Before that practically zero for 45 years! It seems to happen again when it rains and obviously the fixes that only last for a few days or a week or so are not sufficient. If someone from Verizon is monitoring this I would like to make contact with them.  What happens when we call into Verizon saying very firmly that it is a copper line issue the repair is listed as change to fiber optic.  That seems to be the norm. Luckily someone usually calls in advance and we set them right but it means more time and we are stil paying our monthly fee for no service. Next step our representative (DC so no voting person in Congress - another issue).

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hello mahnrut,

While a Verizon employee may occasionally post here, this community is meant mainly for peer-to-peer support. If you need to talk to a Verizon representative, you should contact customer service directly.

0 Likes