Malfunctioning POTS
Not applicable

Hi everyone, 

I'm new here so thanks for having me.  

Right now I'm dealing with an old POTS system in a ten thousand square foot home. This system used to open the gate with a press of the button but that doesn't work anymore.  Oddly the alarm system can still open the gate. Maybe it's a different line altogether.

Some phones are iffy either dead or staticy.  

Has anyone else been in a situation like this where you need to move to a new, modern system like fiber? If so, did they resolve issues within the house too or did they just get you a working main line and then it was up to you to figure VOIP placement and troubleshooting? How do you find out if you'; re eligible for the move to fiber?

Thanks, 

Al

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pictures
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The pictures will appear soon. I'll have a look at that time.

Are you a FiOS subscriber, or is Verizon delivering traditional copper telephone lines (POTS lines)?

If you have copper telephone lines and Verizon indicates that FiOS is available for your address, you can definitely order the service.

The technician will install a FiOS ONT, connect inside wires to the ONT and then test the ordered services (telephone, Internet and/or FiOS TV). But Verizon won't troubleshoot problems with the telephone system, gate/door opener and associated wiring. That would be where an Interconnect familiar with the telephone system and hardware would step in.

I'm not sure about switching from residential to commercial. The Verizon Sales group should be able to provide an answer.  🙂

View solution in original post

Re: Malfunctioning POTS
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

A few questions to kick things off:

. What is the make & model of the telephone system?

. Is the intent to keep the POTS line after the upgrade?

Side note: there are message boards where owners of commercial telephone systems can ask questions and receive advice.

https://sundance-communications.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

https://www.tek-tips.com/threadcategory.cfm?lev2=9

System and Intent
Not applicable

I don't know the system. Where should I look? I have some photos. It's all copper with several junction boxes and wires punched down on the board.

And the goal is just to get the phone controlled gate working, and for the phones to work. Some do.  

If Verizon could fix lines in the house, I'd keep POTS. But if the alarm and gate could work with fiber, then the goal would be fiber.

-A

0 Likes
Re: System and Intent
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

A picture of a telephone set and of the telephone system controller should help. Note that submitted pictures are queued for Moderator approval before they appear.

Note that Verizon doesn't typically work on inside wiring that is associated with telephone systems. Wiring and hardware issues are addressed by an Interconnect, which falls outside the scope of these forums.

The two URLs I posted are for message boards where telephone system related questions can be asked and answered.

As noted above, post pictures and we'll attempt to identify the system. 🙂

Pictures
Not applicable

Hello again, 

I have some pictures for you. I am not sure if the telephone system controller is included though. You tell me if it is.  

Thanks for the information on Verizon and indoor wiring.

I wonder. If I were to ask Verizon to upgrade the phone system to fiber would they help me get lines run to any location as well as ensure the security system and gate are still connected to the phone system?  

I know optimum will actually run up to three lines for you for around $150 if you use their Telephone Modem.

Let me know if you need anymore information, and thanks again. 

Do you know if it is possible to create a business account with verizon which allows a business to play an intermediary between a client?  

Thanks again, 

Alimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The pictures will appear soon. I'll have a look at that time.

Are you a FiOS subscriber, or is Verizon delivering traditional copper telephone lines (POTS lines)?

If you have copper telephone lines and Verizon indicates that FiOS is available for your address, you can definitely order the service.

The technician will install a FiOS ONT, connect inside wires to the ONT and then test the ordered services (telephone, Internet and/or FiOS TV). But Verizon won't troubleshoot problems with the telephone system, gate/door opener and associated wiring. That would be where an Interconnect familiar with the telephone system and hardware would step in.

I'm not sure about switching from residential to commercial. The Verizon Sales group should be able to provide an answer.  🙂

Not applicable

OK thanks.  OK FIOS does not service this area. Maybe these were put in long ago when they did? But since they don't service the area, I will Just have optimum put in a VOIP system. According to them the technicians will run lines in the house and ensure the gate and security still work with the new system.

Thanks anyway.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

A 1A2 key system! 😲

FiOS would work with a 1A2, but the system doesn't support Caller ID. If Optimum can provide POTS telephone service, the 1A2 can go forward. If the system is to be replaced, consider putting all of the hardware up for sale as some telecom aficionados collect and install such systems in their homes. 🙂

Oh, the controller for the telephone system should be to the left of the block seen in the second picture.