Move to Dry Loop DSL
bomnhau

Currently I have a contract with Verizon Double Play until the end of March 2011.  Does Verizon offer Dry Loop DSL?  What do I need to do to move from "landline homephone+internet" to "internet" only.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Re: Move to Dry Loop DSL
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Verizon offers Dry Loop DSL in most areas. Some areas might not offer it. As to why, I couldn't tell you. Just let Verizon know that you want to shut off the telephone service but keep the DSL on. They should be able to put in the request and adjust your bill accordingly. The DSL will go up a few dollars a month when switching to Dry Loop, keep in mind.

Just be aware that in some cases, Verizon may wind up disconnecting the actual copper loop itself. There should be no need to do this as it is controlled by software for the most part. On a dry-loop DSL line, you will receive a fast busy signal if you attempted to use a phone on it in most areas. Figured I'd give you the heads up on this as it's happened to a buddy of mine and he was by no means prepared for his DSL going dead a day after his phone service was turned off.
0 Likes
clonjers

About the reply that says a dry lopp connection has a busy signal. Is this new? I use Vontage for my phone service and they say there should not be any sound ona dry loop DSL connection. Mine just started having the busy signal and now my Vontage device and internet service is flakey, at best. Appreciate what you can tell me.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Busy Signal isn't by any means new, but it might be new in particular to your area. If your Vonage connection is however having issues along with the DSL, you need to separate the DSL line from the wiring the Vonage uses, which is what should have been done before the Vonage was hooked up (you would have been having DSL issues and probably voice quality issues backfeeding into Verizon's network anyhow). Running a dedicated CAT3 cable from the Telco NID to your DSL modem, disconnecting the rest of your home's wiring from the NID would work for this (and is preferred), along with using the second pair of cabling found in your home's telephone cabling, wiring it to a jack labeled "DSL Only" which will wire the second "outer" pairs into the Inner pairs for the modem.

0 Likes