Need another extension
adoyt

Hi,

I'm finishing my basement and want to put a telephone extension there.  Is this something I can do myself?  If so, where do I run the wire to?  Just to clarify, I don't need a 2nd line/number just another terminal to plug my phone into (i.e. extension).

Do I run the cable to the ONT or to the NID?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Need another extension
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

I hope you have gotten my private message. If not, you would connect the phone line from the new jack in your basement to your houses NID.

0 Likes
Roadking10453
Contributor - Level 1

You could just wire right in to another extension point if that's easier/closer than going to the NID on the outside of the house. Its just 4-wire copper inside. You can get everything you need at radioshack or home depot or lowes, etc.

You *could* also just install a cordless phone base (in the kitchen for example) that has multiple handsets and then you can put them anywhere you want w/o wiring. That's what I did a few years ago...just bought a $99 system w/4 handsets (incl the base unit) and leave it in the kitchen...another in the master bedroom, and a 3 here in the office area. The range is quite good on them these days and you should easily be able to find one you like. Then there is NO wiring to run. Just look for cordless phones (wireless is usually reserved as a term for the true wireless phones that use the cell towers, et al). wikipedia will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about cordless phones   😉

0 Likes
Roadking10453
Contributor - Level 1

did it work? are you good/done?

0 Likes