Need to ID a number that doesnt show up on caller ID or recorded in Recent Calls
bfgcb
Enthusiast - Level 3

We received a call from someone who didnt speak English, was obviously reading from a script, and the originating number didnt show up at all on caller ID nor was it listed in recent calls on the phone (which means theyve figured out how to hide that data). THe caller said something like he was calling from the Microsoft Windows Support Center (warning flag 2,because Microsoft doesnt care enough about end users to actually call them). I could only understand fragments of what he was saying. Malware, errors, concerned, etc.  I asked him to repeat his name and provide his MS employee ID number, and  told him I was going to call a friend who worked at Microsoft to confirm his employment. SURPRISE!  He hung up.  I really would like to identify the originating number so I can report it.  Without a doubt it's a scammer.

0 Likes
Re: Need to ID a number that doesnt show up on caller ID or recorded in Recent Calls
PJL
Master - Level 3

@bfgcb wrote:

We received a call from someone who didnt speak English, was obviously reading from a script, and the originating number didnt show up at all on caller ID nor was it listed in recent calls on the phone (which means theyve figured out how to hide that data). THe caller said something like he was calling from the Microsoft Windows Support Center (warning flag 2,because Microsoft doesnt care enough about end users to actually call them). I could only understand fragments of what he was saying. Malware, errors, concerned, etc.  I asked him to repeat his name and provide his MS employee ID number, and  told him I was going to call a friend who worked at Microsoft to confirm his employment. SURPRISE!  He hung up.  I really would like to identify the originating number so I can report it.  Without a doubt it's a scammer.

It's a scammer using a system (probably international via the Internet) that spoofs (hides) all caller ID information, which is why there was no Caller ID information or entry in the call log.  It's illegal so reporting them even if you could woukd have no effect.  If I don't get valid caller ID information from a number I recognize I just ignore the call or quickly answer and immediately hang up.

0 Likes