No Dial Tone
venison
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a trouble ticket open for no dial tone on my landline. At no point during the trouble reporting was I ever asked about my DSL. It is working, although it is up snd down a lot. Wouldn't Verizon want to know that the DSL is working, since that might indicate the physical line is okay to my house and the trouble could be in the central office (or a mid point in some cases). Otherwise, we have to wait 3 days for the outside technician to be dispatched only to learn it's a central office issue.

Re: No Dial Tone
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There can be damage on a copper line that prevents dial-tone but still allows DSL.  Presumably, Verizon used their automatic test equipment to check for issues at the CO.  Finding none, the next step is to have a tech look at the line.

Given that your DSL is up and down, it sounds like a good call on Verizon's part to send a tech to check out the line from your home back to the CO or RT.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
venison
Enthusiast - Level 2

My landline has been out 4 days now.

Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Good evening Venison,

Have you already spoken with tech support and arranged for a repair visit?  Or were you advised you are included in an outage?

~Jess

Duration of Outage
venison
Enthusiast - Level 2

My landline went out on January 28th. When a technician did not show by the appointment date January 31, I called and was told that there was a "construction" issue and hopefully the line would be repaired soon. I would think that any construction would not cause minimal down time and if so the customer should be notified.

1. Isn't a 5 days outage odd?

2. Why would construction knock people out of service fot days?

3. Why wouldn't the customer be told of the planned outage, if it was?

4. Why wouldn't they get updates of the progress?

5. And if the DSL is working would that seem like a central office issue?

Re: Duration of Outage
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@venison wrote:

My landline went out on January 28th. When a technician did not show by the appointment date January 31, I called and was told that there was a "construction" issue and hopefully the line would be repaired soon. I would think that any construction would not cause minimal down time and if so the customer should be notified.

1. Isn't a 5 days outage odd?

2. Why would construction knock people out of service fot days?

3. Why wouldn't the customer be told of the planned outage, if it was?

4. Why wouldn't they get updates of the progress?

5. And if the DSL is working would that seem like a central office issue?

Talking to peers here.

1. No 5 days is not uncommon.  After Hurricane Sandy some were out for many months.  Some feel they never completely fixed things to what they had before.
  2. Construction can easily knock out poles or cut cables.  Not sure what would knock out phone but not DSL.
  3. I doubt it was planned.
  4. You should be able to get some hints of progress, but not always
  5. DSL is sometimes known to work while phone lines don't,  Someone once explained why, but I can't find it.
venison
Enthusiast - Level 2

I beleive a tech was out and it was determine that my line is part of a "construction" issue. I guess it's a power issue. At the moment I'd like to know the estimated restoral time.

venison
Enthusiast - Level 2

An appointment was scheduled for 1/31/15 at 9 PM. I never saw or heard from a technician. When I called for a status I was told construction/power issue. I would like an estimated restoral time.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Venison,

This community is meant mainly for peer-to-peer support and is not monitored by technical support staff. If you need to talk to a Verizon representative, you should contact customer service directly.

0 Likes
venison
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called them yesterday and they were going to call back with estimated restoral time. I got no call back.