Not told of Labor Fee
djbanker

I am upset with Verizon's recent $91 Labor Fee that was added to my bill. I had an issue with the FIOS landline phone service as a result of following the instructions of the original tech installer that came to my home.

I switched from Time Warner Cable to FIOS after many offers and solicitations that were enticing. Plus added to the fact that I was frustrated with certain issues regarding Time Warner Cable. 

The original installer came to setup everything in my home in March 2013. My cable and power components are located in our master bedroom closet. When FIOS was installed and TWC was disconnected, there was a box attached to the wall with cable wires and phone cords. I told the FIOS installer that I would be remodeling the closet and asked if I could remove the box and wires. He told me I could because the FIOS system was connected and installed in the box adjacent to the original TWC box.

Flash foward to July 2014 and I wanted to paint the inside walls of the closet. I removed the box and disconnected the cords. Of course, I ended up disconnecting the phone line. I wasn't sure exactly which cord went into which part, so I contacted FIOS Customer Service. I explained to the rep what had happened and he said that he would set an appointment for a tech to come to my home. I asked if there would be a charge and he said that it depended on what needed to be repaird. (this can be pulled from the recorded call)

The rep came and looked at the problem. He immediately said that I could not disconnect the wires because that was part of the phone system. Obviously this was different from what the original installer had said. He spent about 5 minutes putting the cords back in the proper place and asked that I tested the phone. It worked just fine.

When he was finished, I asked if I needed to sign anything or if there would be a charge and he said "no don't worry about it."

You can imagine my frustration when I see a $91 Labor Fee on this month's bill. I am not one to complain about valid charges and fees, but here are my issues:

1.) The original phone rep should outline and disclosed how the billing costs works when a tech arrives at your home.

This was not done.

2.) I only removed the box, because I was originally told that by switching to FIOS, the box was not longer functioning.

3.) When I asked the tech if I needed to sign anything or if there was a charge, why would he say No?

4.) Had the cost been disclosed to me by the phone rep, I would have sat down myself and figured out how to connect the phone wires back in place. I understand that $91 is the standard half hour fee, but again this should be disclosed ahead of time.

5.) I called customer service on Sunday Morning, explained this to the rep who said that she could not do anything as this was a valid charge. I requested for her to escalate to her supervisor. She said that one would call me within 24-48 hours. It has now been 4 days.

I am user of Verizon Wireless (family lines totalling $200 per month), and FIOS service which totals around $190 per month. The fact that this was not mentioned or disclosed upfront is unacceptable. The tech should also disclose the fee and something should be signed to acknowledge that the work was completed and the amount charge accepted.

0 Likes
Re: Not told of Labor Fee
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Anything past the demarc point is billable to the customer. Which in your case is the fios ONT box. Whenever a tech is sent they tell you if the problem is inside the house it is billable. I can see your confusion because of what the tech told you. You do not have to sign anything when the tech is finished but he should have told you that he was billing you for the repair.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Due to multiple failed attempts to reach you we will be closing this private support case.

If you need further assistance with Verizon service feel free to send us another post.

Thank you,

^Matthew

0 Likes
nomoewooers

I just received my bill and surprised with the "Labor First Half Hour $91".  I had beeping for a month.  We thought it was from our surge protectors, which we eventually replaced all of them (one surge protector cost me $100).  Then we heard the beep again.  We had to pull out our heavy furniture.  We saw the FIOS box that was installed on our wall close to the floor.  A red light showed "change battery".  We realized then we didn't have to replace our surge protectors and were upset.  I chatted with a rep who told me not to open the box and he had to send a tech to replace the battery.  I didn't even know there was a battery.  The tech came, had difficulty opening the plastic box and was in the house no more than 10 minutes changing the battery and talking to me.  I will file a complaint.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello nomoewooers

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes