Phone Backlight Comes on Every 30 Minutes
LexLuthor1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have FiOS Digital Voice service. Exactly every 30 minutes (at :25 and :55 after the hour), my phone backlight lights up like a call is coming in. I have a GE28821 DECT phone system. I tried plugging the base into a different jack and the same thing happens. Phone doesn't have to be in the base to light up, it can just be lying on the table. What is the ONT doing exactly every 30 minutes that's causing my phone backlight to light up? Is there anything that can be done about this (other than telling me to get a different phone system)?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phone Backlight Comes on Every 30 Minutes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The second post was from Verizon.  Essentially its not something they are doing.

Most common is some device, e.g. alarm system calling home, doing this.  Also on my Motorola system the phones do this when the power is interrupted.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

There is nothing that the phone line could do to cause that. Everything on the phone line is done by electrical signals. If theres a signal on the line that is simulating an incoming call, then your phone in addition to lighting up would respond by ringing. There is not a signal to tell devices on the other end to light up. There is something wrong with the phone itself. I apologize and wish there was something we could do.

GAndrew1

I have the same problem and verizon doesn't seem to know what it is.  Every 30 minutes the backlight on my cordless phone gets bright (which is a problem at night with my nightstand phone), and then goes back to normal 10 seconds or so later.  Odd.  They guessed it may have something to do with a "light surge" coming through the fios optic line, but otherwise they were without a clue. 

0 Likes
texasron

Ever since we had FIOS installed for phone and internet service we have been plagued with a problem. At 6 minutes after the hour and 6 minutes after the half hour and a few times in between, something causes our telephones to indicate an incoming call. Periodically, the phone rings at that time.

Is Verizon monitoring our phone lines for some reason? How can this be stopped?

0 Likes
texasron

You say that FIOS is not capable of causing the problem that I and Gandrew are experiencing. At exactly 6 minutes after EVERY hour and half-hour my remote phones light up and indicate an incoming call. Ocassionally the phone rings but that very seldom. Before I had FIOS installed this NEVER happended.

FIOS is subjecting our lines with some signal that causes the problem. FIOS engineers need to be aware of this or maybe they already know and are silent.

0 Likes
Jon-NYC
I just got FIOS Digital Voice and I have this same issue. I have the RCA ViSYS dect (2-line) system. The backlight comes on all the handsets periodically for no apparent reason. Very distracting. This never happened with my regular old, copper-based phone service. I would love to solve this mystery!
0 Likes
PeeArrow
I'm a new customer with a Motorola cordless phone system. I am coming from another IP/Internet phone service, but now my phones light up as is being described here. Has anyone ever received an explanation or solution to this issue?
0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The second post was from Verizon.  Essentially its not something they are doing.

Most common is some device, e.g. alarm system calling home, doing this.  Also on my Motorola system the phones do this when the power is interrupted.

0 Likes
ewildermuth

I have the SAME problem, as soon as I had FIOS installed, my Motorola Dect 6.0 wireless phone system lights up every 30 minutes.  I do not see any solution listed from anyone and the other posts are years old... so Verison SHOULD know what is wrong by now... what is my solution?  Verison has tried to fix this after I called in, they also suggested un-plugging and this didn't work either.

HELP VERIZON

Eric

0 Likes