Phones are dead by internet is working...................
mamaT4

I have no dial tone, but did the test of the NID box outside and it has dialtone.  I have tried every phone jack and nothing.  But....my verizon modem is jacked into a phone jack and we have internet service.  So....... I am thinking it must have something to do with the internet service. 

Has anyone else had that problem?  I only have tracfone and already have been on hold 13 min with customer service.  Finally had to hang up.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!  any ideas?????

0 Likes
Re: Phones are dead by internet is working...................
frey1

Same Problem since Sunday night storm of 5/27

No ideas except wait for Verizon service of 6/5 (Great service!)

0 Likes
frey1

Verizon fixed problem which was in end office.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

mamaT, have you tried these tools?

Verizon Troubleshooter can be used to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:

http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you've got dial tone at the NID, something's wrong between the NID and the house which ultimately makes it your responsibility in the Telco's view. Something is either shorting in your home or one of the wires of the pair servicing your home has coroded or disconnected over time. Investigate each of your jacks, ensure the metal prongs are in good shape and not bent out of shape or corroded. Make sure the connections behind the jack are tight and not bridged. Also, if you have an alarm system and are comfortable and familiar with the inside panel for the telephone wiring, it's also good to check the connections there as well. At the NID, it's also a good idea to check the connections there.

You can have a Verizon tech stop out to fix this for you if you're not able to spot the problem. They will find and correct shorts and jack problems, as well as a broken wire pair often times on the company dollar but new wiring in the home will cost you.

FYI: DSL is well known for operating, even at a reduced capacity on broken or damaged phone lines. It's not uncommon at all. DSL can run over one wire but at a large capacity hit due to noise.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Also unplug all your phones with a DSL line filter. Plug them in just one at a time, only having one phone connected at any given time. See if the phone comes back on any of the connections. If it does, then one where it does not come back, probably has a bad filter, or cable. Just a thought.

Even if not a filter, disconnecting everything in your house, and connecting them back as suggested, could also identify a bad phone, or phone cord that is pulling down the line. Remember disconnect them at the jack. And look at the jack as suggested. I had one phone jack that became wet in the basement once, all green and corroded, It killed my service.

0 Likes