Porting Old Phone number: Help needed
ramabasu1

Hi, I need help on resolving this issue with Verizon.  I have signed up for Verizon FIOS triple play.  I want to keep my old telephone number that I have with AT&T (landline) and port it over to Verizon.  

What I have learned from talking with Verizon customer service, is because the telephone number  that I have with AT&T  had been originally given to me by Verizon many years back before it was  ported over to AT&T from Verizon that Verizon now won't port the old number back over to my house landline  because they had already ported it out years ago for me. 

I have been told by multiple representatives that  I could keep my old phone number, and by others that I couldn't. I have been reading the FCC regulations on this issue and they are saying that I should be able to keep my number since I am at the same location.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to get or make Verizon port over my current phone number to my new ( to be installed) Verizon FIOS landline. I was told by a Verizon rep that it can't be done and they won't do it since the telephone number is my old Verizon phone number from many years ago that they ported out they won't port in back it now.   

This might be a deal breaker for me, and I might have to (reluctantly) consider a different service provider.

I know that other consumers on this forum have had similar issues that have been resolved, but it was not clear how. I would very much welcome any helpful input that you might be able to give me.

Thanks!

RB

0 Likes
Re: Porting Old Phone number: Help needed
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Just go online to the Verizon website and place the order there. It gives you the option to port your number over. Just make sure your account is in good standing with AT&T and do not cancel your AT&T service until the number is ported over to Verizon.

0 Likes
ramabasu1

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Initially I did try to sign up online. I had the same problem, it will not let me port our current number. That is why I called customer service multiple times. They responded with the answer that I talked about in my original post---they will not port it over because it used to be a Verizon number before it got ported to AT&T about a decade ago. They will not port it back to Verizon now. I do not understand why this is the case, and apparently another consumer had a similar issue, which was eventually resolved. 

I was hoping that someone could direct me to the correct contact in Verizon who could fix this issue for me.

Thanks!

0 Likes
ramabasu1

I was really hoping that Verizon support personnel might see my post and be able to assist me. I have been on the FCC's webpage and it appears that there is no reason why my current number cannot be ported, since we are in the same house as we were before. It looks like I might have to file an FCC complaint about this issue. I would have preferred not to go that route and have a resolution from Verizon directly. I am wondering if there is anybody else out there with a similar issue and if it was resolved, and what channels they pursued?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi ramabasu1,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes