Porting phone number
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I'm retired & everything is going up in cost. I'm looking for ways to reduce my monthly bills. I haven't had any problems with my FIOS phone. I'm happy with the service.

I'm thinking about switching from FIOS to Ooma. I assume that once my phone number is ported from FIOS to Ooma, I'll no longer be able to use FIOS, right? What would happen if I try to use the phone after the number is ported? I guess that I'll hear a message that the phone number is unavaialble or not in use, right?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Porting phone number
jonjones1
Legend

After you port out of Verizon phone service the line is not usable outside of 911 calls.

i would not go to Ooma. I used them once and although the service was clear and the telo was nice to use ( you must buy the Ooma Telo Device which is around $100-$150 with taxes) then if you get service the premium service costs extra. $215 i think it was.

then you pay a monthly fee of $6-$12 depending on where you are located. Maybe more. They like to add on fees which they dont explain. (I dropped them for putting taxes on tax which you cannot do in NY)

then if you try to quit you get hassled to jump through hoops, they want you to sell it to someone else, they always keep billing your charge card etc. google them.

so add it up so far. $150+$215+$144=$504 

you can use voipo. Barring that you can use a magic jack. This service is also portable can be used with a computer or hooked up to a router or cable modem.

best of luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Porting phone number
jonjones1
Legend

After you port out of Verizon phone service the line is not usable outside of 911 calls.

i would not go to Ooma. I used them once and although the service was clear and the telo was nice to use ( you must buy the Ooma Telo Device which is around $100-$150 with taxes) then if you get service the premium service costs extra. $215 i think it was.

then you pay a monthly fee of $6-$12 depending on where you are located. Maybe more. They like to add on fees which they dont explain. (I dropped them for putting taxes on tax which you cannot do in NY)

then if you try to quit you get hassled to jump through hoops, they want you to sell it to someone else, they always keep billing your charge card etc. google them.

so add it up so far. $150+$215+$144=$504 

you can use voipo. Barring that you can use a magic jack. This service is also portable can be used with a computer or hooked up to a router or cable modem.

best of luck

0 Likes