SCAMMER USING MY LANDLINE NUMBER
naprotzman

A scammer is using my phone number to cal people--I got 2 angry voice mails this week.  I want to report it to Verizon, but their customer support doesn't include this type of topic.  I have recorded a new outgoing message to include this:  "This is a legitimate residential number which has recently been hijacked by a scammer.  If you receive a strange or unwanted call showing this number, don't dial it, just hang up".  Who can I report this to?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SCAMMER USING MY LANDLINE NUMBER
jonjones1
Legend

@choirlady wrote:

A scammer is using my phone number to cal people--I got 2 angry voice mails this week.  I want to report it to Verizon, but their customer support doesn't include this type of topic.  I have recorded a new outgoing message to include this:  "This is a legitimate residential number which has recently been hijacked by a scammer.  If you receive a strange or unwanted call showing this number, don't dial it, just hang up".  Who can I report this to?

http://www.fcc.gov is where to file a complaint.

however what is happening is called number spoofing and the government has ordered verizon and other carriers to start verifying numbers calling and or stopping them completely or give you the ability to block them. This is a US government mandate which must be working by 2020 or these providers will be fined heavy money.

for right now verizon does offer 100+ number blocking for free. I don’t use their phone service but my phone provider simply has me push a number on the key pad and its blocked.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: SCAMMER USING MY LANDLINE NUMBER
jonjones1
Legend

@choirlady wrote:

http://www.fcc.gov is where to file a complaint.

however what is happening is called number spoofing and the government has ordered verizon and other carriers to start verifying numbers calling and or stopping them completely or give you the ability to block them. This is a US government mandate which must be working by 2020 or these providers will be fined heavy money.

for right now verizon does offer 100+ number blocking for free. I don’t use their phone service but my phone provider simply has me push a number on the key pad and its blocked.

0 Likes