Self-Repairing beige wire interface link to jack
Cantiloper
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm by no means an electrician, but would feel quite comfortable stringing a new wire if needed from the little gray box outside to the one jack and phone I have in my house.  Given that fact, is there any advantage at all to having inside wire maintenance? (I have DSL but not FIOS) 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Some Wiring Suggestions
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Cantiloper wrote:

... by simply buying and running a new simple wire from the outside grey box attached to my house to the one inside main jack, and then running another simple wire up through the ceiling/floor hole to my phone right above that I would be likely to "solve" any interior wiring [issue] ... such re-wiring would be simple and straightforward ... Is such a belief correct?  Or are the phone wires trickier for some reason?  Does having the line DSL-enabled introduce any additional wiring complexities ... ?

If your present wiring consists only of 4-conductor cabling (sometimes called Cat3), then of course you could in the event just replace it with an equivalent wire and your network will operate correctly.  You will also have to replace any DSL gear such as filters if they are present.

However should it happen that you do require replacement, it would probably be a good idea to step up and use 8-conductor cable such as Cat5e or better to "future-proof" your setup and prepare for eventual changes.

I repeat my comment  that it does not appear that spending  for the VZ interior maintenance plan is either necessary or financially worthwhile.

View solution in original post

Re: Self-Repairing beige wire interface link to jack
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Cantiloper wrote:

... feel quite comfortable stringing a new wire if needed from the little gray box outside to the one jack and phone I have in my house.  Given that fact, is there any advantage at all to having inside wire maintenance? ...

You haven't given any indication of the present wiring configuration.  Are you asking about replacing existing wiring, installing new wiring, etc.?  Is there a specific issue with the existing configuration?  Also, you have not indicated the specific purpose of the wiring, the types of terminations required, etc.

If you provide details along these lines, someone here may be able to come up with suggestions.  Meanwhile, if things are as simple as you describe, spending cash for inside maintenance seems a poor bargain.

Re: Self-Repairing beige wire interface link to jack
Cantiloper
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Armond.  🙂 

All I'm talking about is possible future situations where my modem isn't working.  I would *think* that by simply buying and running a new simple wire from the outside grey box attached to my house to the one inside main jack, and then running another simple wire up through the ceiling/floor hole to my phone right above that I would be likely to "solve" any interior wiring aspect of the problem that a Verizon tech might charge for.  I would *think* that such re-wiring would be simple and straightforward and that I should be able to do it myself without any special skills beyond those I have occasionally used to re-wire a socket etc over my years of home-ownership.

Is such a belief correct?  Or are the phone wires trickier for some reason?  Does having the line DSL-enabled introduce any additional wiring complexities that I might miss while doing such potential self-repair?

The inside maintenance thing at $8/month sounds like something that someone in a mansion with a half dozen phones and no home-maintenance skills might need, but I'm thinking that for me it's probably a royal waste of money.

:?

Michael

0 Likes
Re: Some Wiring Suggestions
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Cantiloper wrote:

... by simply buying and running a new simple wire from the outside grey box attached to my house to the one inside main jack, and then running another simple wire up through the ceiling/floor hole to my phone right above that I would be likely to "solve" any interior wiring [issue] ... such re-wiring would be simple and straightforward ... Is such a belief correct?  Or are the phone wires trickier for some reason?  Does having the line DSL-enabled introduce any additional wiring complexities ... ?

If your present wiring consists only of 4-conductor cabling (sometimes called Cat3), then of course you could in the event just replace it with an equivalent wire and your network will operate correctly.  You will also have to replace any DSL gear such as filters if they are present.

However should it happen that you do require replacement, it would probably be a good idea to step up and use 8-conductor cable such as Cat5e or better to "future-proof" your setup and prepare for eventual changes.

I repeat my comment  that it does not appear that spending  for the VZ interior maintenance plan is either necessary or financially worthwhile.