So many spam / scam calls
psolin

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else gets as many spam or scam calls as I do.  They can tally up to five times a day, with three rings while I'm doing something important.  I get them even though I am on the Do Not Call list, and while I report them, they still keep calling.

I'm considering just dropping the residential phone service in favor of my cell phone because it's gotten so bad as of late.  As a student, I hate getting these calls when I'm studying for finals especially. Hopefully Verizon will act on the part of the consumer and add some filtering software into their network, or up the blocked call # entries.  It's a shame to see that I can only add 10 out of the 100 or so numbers on my caller ID to that list.

0 Likes
Re: So many spam / scam calls
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Verizon does not have any call filters put in place to restrict numbers calling you. If you prefer to be unsolicited, please fill out the form on www.donotcall.gov

0 Likes
psolin

Thanks for the response Anthony.  Luckily I was able to solve this problem very easily, but not in the way you suggested.  In fact, I already did what you did, and said that in my original post.  Donotcall.gov doesn't work well at all, even though it is the legit route to go.

Instead, I forwarded my Verizon number to my Google Voice number and the spam calls dropped overnight.  All you do is sign up for an account, get a phone number, and link it to your Verizon number.  While you have to give up your landline # for the most part, all calls have the ability to be filtered.  Optionally, if you sync your contact information with your Google account (through Mac Address Book or similar), you can set groups or individual people to be filtered.  They even have a universal spam filter.  You can see voicemails by logging into your Google account, and block spammers if they happen leave a message.  All messages are transcoded so that you can read them, perfect if you are in a meeting or class.

Hope this helps others.

0 Likes
PoppaV1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Only works if you can give up your existing phone number.  I can't.  Is there some reason Verizon can't expand the call block list? 10 is far too few to block all of the goofy charities asking for donations and others. Fortunately their phone dialers unhook before the v mail kicks in I have to rotate dropping an existing one for a new one.  If there was capacity for 25 it would be far more helpful. 

0 Likes
AntiGreen

i exactly know hopw these calls can be irritating! i'm getting them, too! i'm on DNC list already and they're still calling. i can just imagine how many calls I'll be getting in a day if im not on it....

0 Likes
AntiGreen

and the they way, i already reported this to http://www.callercenter.com so i hope the authorities investigating this! 

0 Likes