Solution for Blocking > 10 Numbers
Ken_B
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't know about you, but I'm receiving more and more unwanted calls -- telemarketers, beggars, political advertising, "research," robocalls, you name it. Although many people have requested that Verizon increase the blacklist beyond 10 numbers, this still remains a limitation of the Digital Voice service.

Last month I decided to look around for another solution and stumbled on Phone Tray software (phonetray.com). I purchased a callerID-capable modem they recommended (from Amazon: Hiro H5006 for $11) and downloaded and installed the free program on an old PC. I connected the phone line to the PC and configured the software according to the directions. I added the 10 numbers from my Digital Voice blacklist, along with about 10 more from recent pests. There are a variety of rules to govern which calls get answered automatically and several pre-recorded messages that can be played before hanging up (including the standard 3-tone shriek that signals autodialers they've called an invalid number).

My experience so far has been great. The phone does ring once before the call is intercepted, but that's a small price to pay for this kind of call screening.

Old PC - free

Software - free

Modem - $11

Digital pest control - Priceless

Ken