Verizon blocking number from being ported with new provider?
LandOLakesMike

Hi Verizon, 

I've been a Verizon customer in one form or another (even employee) going back many years.  After being unable to negotiate a new arrangement for my services (TV, Phone, Internet), I decided to unbundle and go with new providers - Direct TV and Brighthouse for phone and internet.  During turnup of phone service with the new provider, I learned that Verizon had recently blocked my number from being ported out.  Perhaps coincidence, perhaps not.  Just funny how this happens right after I had discussions with VZ Support regarding cancelling service.  

Ironically, this number was originally assigned to me by Brighthouse and then ported over to Verizon when I went with the Triple Play bundle several years ago...now its been blocked from going back to Brighthouse. 

Blocking a POTS line from being ported out seems...well petty and spiteful.  

Any thoughts?   Thanks!  

0 Likes
Re: Verizon blocking number from being ported with new provider?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you terminate your Verizon service first?  Porting rules allow you to port your number But you must not terminated your service first.  Instead the new phone service tells your old (in this case Verizon) that you are porting the number to their service.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon blocking number from being ported with new provider?
LandOLakesMike

Good morning TNS_2 & thank you for the reply.  

No - I hadn't (and still haven't) terminated any of the VZ Services.  I'd only discussed different pricing & packages with VZ  and then let them know of my intent to move on to other providers since we couldn't reach an agreement.  VZ asked if I had a termination date in mind and I said "not yet", as I needed to find out how soon services could be turned up by the new providers.   

During the call to set up the new phone service with Brighthouse, the tech received an error stating that my phone number had been blocked from being ported by Verizon and asked if I had recently discussed cancelling service with Verizon as he'd "seen this happen before".   Brighthouse then called the VZ Porting group and was told the same, that the number was unable to be moved.  This isn't a special number ... run of the mill, public / listed, POTS line.   

In any case, I'm going to go back to Brighthouse shortly and let them know as you mentioned in your post, that porting rules should allow my number to be moved over.   I'll keep my fingers crossed and post back here if I find out anything useful.  

0 Likes