Want to keep my number
tryin2sav

I am trying to save money. I want to keep my landline phone number. If I drop phone and TV but keep internet can I keep my old number and use it on my cell phone?

0 Likes
Re: Want to keep my number
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

What you're talking about is called "number porting."  Number portablity has nothing to do with the non-telephone services you may have.

To port a number from one provider to another, the request needs to be initiated by the receiving company at your request.  In your case, this means you need to talk to your cell phone company and find out their process for handling a number port.  If you don't have a cell phone yet, do this as part of the sign up process.

When porting a number, under no circumstances should you cancel or change service at your existing provider.  This will delay or prohibit the port.  If service is canceled before the port goes through, the number will be lost to you.  Only contact  your existing provider to cancel service AFTER the port goes through.

There is lots of good info on the web; search terms like "number portablity" or "porting landline number to cell phone" will help you.  Here's a good site:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

Good Luck.

0 Likes
manhattanNYC1
Contributor - Level 2

Port  verizon landline number  to verizonwireless, may be OK,try it talk to verizonwireless..  I did  5 years ago,  my cell phone number   area code(212) in New York city,

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes