Weird stutter dialtone
8WN6000

I have had Verizon  FIOS   phone service as part of the triple bundle for about 3 weeks now,

I've had a strange problem ever since I had it installed.  Whenever I press the flash button to disconnect a phone call , I hear a stutter dial tone, the kind I think you hear  if you have voicemail, and the other party is put on hold  instead of being disconnected.  The same thing happens if I press the disconnect button for a few seconds, stutter dial tone-person put on hold.

And if I then hang up the phone, it rings,as if to tell me someone is still on hold!!  The only way to really disconnect a call is to hold the disconnect button for about 8 to 10 seconds, which is a real pain if you need  to make calls rapidly as we do.  I have spent countless hours talking with FIOS elite team members  (and many other departments as well), and they can offer no help or explanation.  

I had a new ONT put in, no luck.  I do not have voicemail or 3 way calling active on my phone.  I've told them that I want to go back to copper  because we've never had that problem before I switched to FIOS/FIOS digital voice, but I've learned how difficult they try to make it and I have a feeling I’m fighting a losing battle!  Any help/suggestions/feedback from you folks would be  great, thanks a bunch!

0 Likes
Re: Weird stutter dialtone
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I can't solve the problem, but I can offer and explanation.   That's not a strange problem ... that's by design.   The "flash" button or a short receiver hook is that indication to the phone system that you wish to place the current call on hold and answer an incoming call (from call waiting) or utilize an advanced three-way or call transfer feature (which even though you don't subscribe to the service, you can use on a per-call charge basis).   The ring back on hold is the reminder when the system thinks you have put someone on hold that they are still there so you don't forget about them and hang up on them.

To disconnect a call, you need to go on-hook for at least 5 seconds.

This is not a "copper" vs "fiber" thing.   It's the backend phone system and it's capabilities.   It's likely you may have been on an older unit that didn't support these advanced calling features when on copper -- and by the same token even if they would "switch you back", you may well not end up back on the same old unit, but instead end up on a current generation unit which would exhibit the exact same behavior.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

As lasagna pointed out, this is the way things are, regardless of who your provider is and whether you have copper, Fiber or VOIP.  Something to get used to and after a few times, it will be like old hat.

0 Likes
8WN6000

Thank you both for your response. 

This problem occurs on all my phones not just one and is VERY annoying if you need to make calls rapidly, but I  guess the bottom line is I never had the stutter dial tone problem when I was on copper and Verizon doesn't seem to be able to fix it through software, so I  just need to find out how to get through all the red tape which I've encountered and go back to copper.  

My copper is still connected to my house so it should be easy to switch back.  Otherwise I will have to cancel my entire  triple play bundle and try another provider who will use the copper lines. 

Again, any input/suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to go back and read what we posted ... this is not a "phone issue" nor is it a copper / fiber issue.   It's a phone system feature ... this is the way the phone system works in the 21st century.   Verizon's not going to fix what isn't a problem.

0 Likes
Kramdens1

I was experiencing the stutter dial tone and was instructed by Verizon that the digatl voice mail is active by default and no way to stop it. When calls are left at voice mail you get a stutter dial tone. If you delete the calls from this then the stutter is gone until the next call is left on digital voice mail.  Suggestion is go to voice mail and change the number of rings to max. (6) before it answers. That way your home answerer will pick up first and you don't get any on the digital voice mail.

0 Likes
ALee4

I had stutter dialtone without any new voice mail  messages.  Turns out the trouble was an electronic cross-connect in the ONT.   Ask if they have the ONT configured correctly.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes