Why Does UNAVAILABLE ---------- Get Through When ACR Is ON?
doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

We keep getting Unavailable phone calls where the caller just hangs up on us at all hours, close to 10PM and I get up at 4AM.  With the ACR on why does it allow calls through that offer no number at all, either dashes or 2 lines that say "UNAVAILABLE"?  I don't want to leave the Do Not Disturb on all of the time because that is not a viable option, what else can be done?  We are on Digital Voice and without a number I can't block it or return call it.

0 Likes
Re: Why Does UNAVAILABLE ---------- Get Through When ACR Is ON?
doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

The past 2 days the Unavailable calls are increasing.  I answer and they hang up.  My wife answered and they wanted the woman of the house for a survey, she replied she was not interested so now they continue to call and hang up.  This is getting to be harassment, but they are able to call without any information.  What can be done to have these calls stopped? 

0 Likes
doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

Today between 9:20 and 9:50AM we had 17 Unavailable calls, 17.  There has to be something that can be done.  No one is there when we say Hello.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just a quick question, when you check online, do you see these calls coming in? Some people have mentioned wiring issues inside of the house causing some strange issues with the phone service, so perhaps this is a case of a wire shorting the line at an unusual time and is causing the line to go off the hook, but switch over to a "second" like and hang up when the short is cleared. This I think would trigger such a problem, since Verizon's systems would ring you back indicating a call was in session on the "other line." Not sure how clear I am, but given that is not the case I would try tracing the call. I'm not sure if the tradition Bell codes work on Digital Voive, but if you dial *57 immediately after you hang up on an empty call, after a few times if the incoming number is seen as consistent, Verizon should be able to find out who it is calling.

A relative of mine had a similar issue where a malfunctioning phone system would call them at the oddest of hours. Putting a call trace through their telephone company allowed them to find out who it was at least calling, so that they could give the company a call back and ask for them to fix their system.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

ACR doesn't block calls where the Callier id is unavailable.  It blocks calls when the caller is using Caller id blocking and only in your area code, i.e. callerer shows as private or anonymous.   Another feature, not always available, called Call Intercept does.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/Phone/Calling+Features/Anonymous+Call+Rejection/Anonymous+C...

"Anonymous Call Rejection

You can use Anonymous Call Rejection to reject most phone calls from callers who have blocked the display of their telephone numbers for Caller ID. Anonymous Call Rejection does not block calls made to you from outside your local calling area or through operator assistance.

When Anonymous Call Rejection is on, your phone will not ring if callers have blocked the display of their number. Instead, callers will hear an announcement saying that you are not accepting blocked calls. They will be instructed to hang up, unblock their number, and dial again if they want to reach you. "

For info on call interceptseehttp://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/Phone/Calling+Features/Call+Intercept/Questions++and++Answe...

0 Likes
doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

I know what ACR will block, I have seen the Private calls in the call log, and they don't get through.  To me a company is getting around this by having the ID show Unavailable with no number provided at all, Verizon should also block any call that refuses to post a number, if I have ACR activated.  I don't have the option of manually adding it into the list, because there isn't a number.  Also I can't *69 and call them back and ask them to stop.  I answer the calls but no one is there most of the time.  The times there is a person I ask them to stop, but they say it is a survey and they don't have to stop.  Now I know they aren't required to according to the DNC, but if someone asks you not to call why do they?  Give me the option to block them and I will.  My wife works overnight so I had to set up the Do Not Disturb for early in the day so she can rest, but we can't leave it on because we do get calls from more than 10 people we know, including orders for eyeglasses and Doctors where you never know what number will be calling.

So if these calls are becoming harassment can't something be done, even if they provide no number?

It is now after 9PM and they started again.  One call came through with a number, asking for my wife.  305-728-0130, a Survey company out of Florrida, Sun Surveys.  She is working so I said she wasn't here, 2 minutes later Unavailable calls start, guessing it was the same company since I said hello 4 times and they never responded.  This company calls more if you ask them not to.  http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-305-728-0130

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Even though the calls are unwanted and frequent, there is no action Verizon could take to prevent them. You can read more about harrassing calls at http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/phone/general+support/support+tools/general/95622.htm?

Unwanted Calls are usually not against the law and typically include:

• Fax calls
  • Hang-up calls
  • Computer calls
  • Solicitation calls
  • Telemarketing calls
  • Debt collection calls

Your suggestion to expand on what ACR will and will not reject is one that can be submitted to Verizon. We have a forum that addresses customer input. This would be a perfect candidate for the Verizon Idea Exchange. Please search on the idea exchange and cast your vote. There may be another member who made the same suggestion. If not, please add a new idea so your fellow community members can comment and vote on your suggestion. http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-Idea-Exchange/ct-p/ideaexchange . The Verizon Idea Exchange is there for you to submit your ideas and suggestions to Verizon so that we can consider them as we innovate our products and services.

0 Likes