Why did they connected me to a FAX MACHINE
VerasGran

Got a new phone # 6/22/10 and have yet to receive a call - why- because whenever someone calls me they get a Fax machine. What the heck is that all about?. Verizon tells me they've run test & everything is fine they even sent out a tech and he "fixed" the problem - so why is everyone still getting a FAX machine when they call me?

0 Likes
Re: Why did they connected me to a FAX MACHINE
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your problem. Please contact our customer service team via live chat or email at: http://www.verizon.com/contactus

Have them try to call you while you are there to answer the phone, and then call them back to see if they too, got the fax.

0 Likes
VerasGran

I followed the link  but after clicking online help there was no other link for contact. This is so crazy that a home phone with no internet, cell, or fax connected can be messed up this bad. I have my "lifeline" connected but I can't even use that either. I finally got someone on the phone this morning & they said the case was still pending. Tuesday it'll be a week how long is the question now.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK ... so do you have a phone (regular old run of the mill phone) that you could take to the DMARK box?   This DMARK is the small box where the telephone line enters your house -- one side will be labelled "Customer Access" the other side "Phone Company" or something like that.

Open this box (with a screw driver usually) and inside you'll see one or two "phone" jacks -- one of which is probably plugged in.   Unplug that connection and plug the phone directly into this connection.  

Now, can you make a phone call?

If so, call someone with "caller ID" and ask them to read back the phone number that the call came from.   Is it the number which you expect?  Pay attention to the area code -- some cities now have multiple area codes serving the same city.

Have a cell phone or can you have a neighbor now try to call your phone?   Does it work?

If both work, then the problem is inside your house.   Something is plugged in which is a fax machine -- or maybe a modem.  You said a "Lifeline" device -- may be that.   Find everything plugged into a phone outlet and unplug it from the phone jack.   Computer with a modem maybe?  That to ... unplug it from the phone jack.   Return the DMARK box to it's original state and now try the phone inside and see what happens.  Calling Verizon and asking for someone to come out -- at your expense -- will be the only way to fix that because it's inside your house.

If both didn't work, try the "other" jack in the DMARK box and see that changes the behavior.

If after trying both jacks in the DMARK directly, it's not working -- then the problem is inside of Verizon and you must have them fix it.  Call them back and tell them that you tried a phone directly plugged into the DMARK and describe the results of your testing. 

If

0 Likes