Why doesn't my old (1980's) push button phone work on my new land line?
squirps

I have a 1980's era Bell "Snoopy" push button phone that used to work on my land lines, but doesn't anymore. I know the phone works fine, just not on either of my lines. I get a dial tone, but none of the buttons work (not even a tone when pressed). I had a second line added to the house about 10 years ago and noticed that one line uses two wires, and the second uses the other two wires, as opposed to the old four wire setup. The Verizon installer said that phones only use two wires. Just wondering if anyone knows if this is why, and/or has any solution to this problem. I REALLY like the old "Snoopy" phone and would love to use mine again. Thanks for the input.

0 Likes
Re: Why doesn't my old (1980's) push button phone work on my new land line?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Many older touch tone phones were polarity sensitive.  Try reversing the Red / Green  wires inside the jack (if it's newer wiring, it might be the Blue/White pair).   Basically the wire from the wall ends up getting connected to pins 3/4 on the standard 6 conductor jack.  You need to have whatever is connect to pin 3 now go to pin 4 and whatever is connected to pin 4 go to pin 3.

0 Likes