Why the deceptive practices with copper transition to Fiber?
custe7
I have received notices from Verizon informing me that Verizon will be upgrading their facilities and that my services will need to be moved to the new service.  One of the notices states :" The move will be done at no cost to you and will provide access to the same voice service you enjoy today at the SAME PRICE AND TERMS."  The notice comes with threats to suspend service if i do not call Verizon to set appointment for technician.  

I have called Verizon 2 times now and both times the reps have attempted to get me to agree to a new contract which included Fios Digital Voice.  I now only have standard phone service and FIOS internet.   In the latest call I  was first offered a "Triple Play" which I declined because I do not want TV.     I was then offered a "Double Play" which I also declined  telling the rep that I was not interested in changing  anything about my service.  I told her that I was not interested in "FIOS" VOICE"   I specifically referenced the notices that I have been getting that  indicates that I would be able to keep the exact same phone services at the exact same fees.    In fact, here is a quote from the "Frequently Asked Questions"  in on of the letters I received from Verizon.   It reads....  "I don't want Fios.  What are my alternatives?  The answer reads...... "This is not Fios Voice service.  It is your existing voice service, only provided over fiber instead of copper, at he same price, terms, and conditions.  Any devices that rely on your current voice service, such as facsimile,security alarms connected to a central station, or medical monitoring equipment, will continue to work in the same way as they did over copper."   

By the end of the phone call,  the rep  was placing an order for what I thought was just a required change over to the "fiber".  What I find instead (after reading my email that I received after our call had ended) was that the rep had placed the order for the Fios Digital Voice anyway even after I specifically told her that I did not want it.   The order details in the email did  not even mention my other 2 phone numbers that are on distinctive rings, one of which is my FAX.   I had to call to cancel the appointment that she set because the order she placed was not what I agreed to.   Even after canceling the appointment I have received an email from Verizon with the subject line ""Get ready for FIOS" and reads in part, "You've successfully registered for the following Verizon tools. "MY VERIZON"  Your User ID and Password will be the same for each one. I never "registered" for any tools.  What in the world is this all about"    I have been signing into My Verizon for years why would I need a new user ID.?  I assume this is related to the order that I never agreed to and subsequently canceled.  But if the order was cancelled why would I be getting this email??????

I would also like to mention the 1st phone call I made to Verizon relating to this a few days prior to the one mentioned above.   That call started by the rep telling me that I can "Disregard" the notices I have been getting because I was already "fiber ready".  The call then continued with the rep attempting to sell me a 2 year "double play" contract which I eventually declined.  This rep at least listened to what I had to say and did not actually place an order like the 2nd rep did.  But I was still left with a feeling of deception after this phone call . 

Verizon should not be sending notices in the mail that says one thing and telling the customer something completely different when the customer calls.   Everything I have read on this topic, including resources from the County I live , State regulators and the  FCC  tell me that this is not the way customers should be treated (my even be illegal)  when required to transition from copper service.  It is my understanding that the FCC requires that when transitioning away from copper lines,  phone companies are required to continue to offer customers  Plan Old Telephone Service over Fiber and NOT forced to have digital voice. 

I have been relatively happy with my Verizon service for many years but at this point I don't know what to believe and trust when dealing with Verizon customer service. That is no way to do business.
0 Likes
Re: Why the deceptive practices with copper transition to Fiber?
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi custe7,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes