Will my DSL modem still be part of my phone hook-up after the switch to Digital Voice?
Senjid
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm an old man with old-fashioned DSL and landline connections now facing imminent forced migration to Fios.  Can anyone definitively confirm or refute that an old-fashioned modem will still be an element of my phone hook-up after the switch to Digital Voice?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Will my DSL modem still be part of my phone hook-up after the switch to Digital Voice?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you switched to FIOS then there is no DSL modem.  But a router is normally needed instead.  A ONT is needed, usually at the point service enters your house (can be outside or inside).  The ont converts the Optical signal to conventional phone, ethernet and coax TV (if you have that service).  It also support MOCA (Multimedia over Cable Alliance) although new install setups are usually Ethernet insted.

View solution in original post

Re: Will my DSL modem still be part of my phone hook-up after the switch to Digital Voice?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you switched to FIOS then there is no DSL modem.  But a router is normally needed instead.  A ONT is needed, usually at the point service enters your house (can be outside or inside).  The ont converts the Optical signal to conventional phone, ethernet and coax TV (if you have that service).  It also support MOCA (Multimedia over Cable Alliance) although new install setups are usually Ethernet insted.

Senjid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for confirming no modem, but could you also explain the actual connections that will be made (on Jan. 9th, when Verizon tech is scheduled) to provide Fios Digital Voice?  Will my phones remain plugged into their respective wall jacks so as to carry voice first through my existing old copper wiring, and then, after the tech connects those old wires in some way to the ONT, be transferred to the new fiber for transmission?

If that's so, would that ONT connection between my copper and Verizon's fiber impact my ability in the future to switch from Digital Voice to a generic VoIP service such as Ooma?  I ask because I've read that a VoIP service would also need to use the buried-in-the-walls copper to have an active connection to my phones through their wall jacks, and that an ONT connection to the copper wiring might compromise the VoIP connection, even though the latter signal would be run through the router rather than the ONT.

Is that essentially correct? Thanks.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Phones remain plugged into to conventional Phone Jacks.  The ONT converts converts conventional phone service to their version of VOIP.

If you change over to seperate VOIP (something FIOS doesn't explicitly offer), you normally use Ethernet Connection to VOIP device.   Some people have done so using FIOS Internet service.  Verizon typically prices their bundles so as to discourage this.  I.e. remove phone service and your cost for the rest goes up almost as much as the bundled phone service.

Senjid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the explanation.  As for any savings to be gained by eliminating the phone, I figured it would net me very little for the reason you stated, but I'm desparately seeking some way to cut my bill.  Since it wasn't my choice to switch to Fios, Verizon is giving me a good initial rate for this "double-play."  But after two years, it will be back above $100/mo again even for this low speed (50 mbps) tier!  Merry Christmas!

0 Likes