can call out or get VOIP calls but none else
schase021

Been sitting on hold after navigating through the endless - press this, tell us that, give us your... options.

I've got fios digital voice.  my alarm system is hooked up to it.

I can call out with no problems what so ever.

if I call my phone from google voice - it rings in no problem every time.

but - if my phone is called by a cell phone, or a regular copper line - it rings once, and the phone displays no line.  neither caller nor receiver can hear anything at all.  the phone will not give me a dial tone until the other call in is fully disconnected.

Any advice?  i'd try calling Verizon again but I'd probably launch a nuclear missle with all the numbers you have to put in.

0 Likes
Re: can call out or get VOIP calls but none else
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@schase02 wrote:

... I've got fios digital voice.  my alarm system is hooked up to it ... I can call out with no problems what so ever.

if I call my phone from google voice - it rings in no problem every time ... but - if my phone is called by a cell phone, or a regular copper line - it rings once, and the phone displays no line.  neither caller nor receiver can hear anything at all.  the phone will not give me a dial tone until the other call in is fully disconnected ...

Without further information I can only speculate, but it sounds as though your alarm system is seizing the line prematurely.  Line seizure means that the RJ31X connector that's typically used to connect an alarm system to a telco system blocks out the line during the alarm call.

If this seems possible then you can find many RJ31X connection diagrams online that will allow you to compare your wiring to the basic standard.  BTW I use a similar wiring setup with my security system and the RJ31X is compatible with FiOS Digital Voice (which is strictly speaking not a VoIP system).

0 Likes
schase021

thank you!

My guess was that somehow the alarm was grabbing it - but why do you think my google voice calls go through to the phone every time?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@schase02 wrote:

... My guess was that somehow the alarm was grabbing it - but why do you think my google voice calls go through to the phone every time?

I don't know the details of Google Voice (never used it), so I don't know how it handles data on the network.  However I'd be interested to hear what you find when you dig into the RJ31X wiring.  I presume you hooked it up yourself as I did (and also that you enjoyed the job about as much as I did).  Keep me posted..

0 Likes
schase021
I wish I did. But it gives me an idea - i'll unplug the alarm and see what happens. (can't believe I didn't think of it earlier actually).
0 Likes