Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
phone line wierdness
adamsmorgandc

Monday my landline developed so much static it was virtually unusable.  I did manage to call Verizon service department and got them to call me back on my cell phone.  This 8-unit  row building does not have a NID box (es) (or whatever it's called)--most of the phone lines were installed 50 or more years ago and go from the telephone pole to the side of the building and then through a long metal connector box.  My phone line then  goes along the outside of the building and through the brick wall to my unit.   

Wednesday I lost my dialtone.  Incoming calls still ring but  if answered the line is dead. 

My DSL is not affected so far. I understand that yesterday's Internet outage was  general, not just me.

My appointment with  the Verizon technician is not till October 2 (earliest possible was 9/30 and I coulldn't be home then.). 

Would it be worth opening my phone jack and checking those connections?  This jack was converted from a hardwired one about 25 years ago. 

If my line worsens and my DSL fails...I'm going to be even more unhappy. 

0 Likes
Re: phone line wierdness
adamsmorgandc

Update: Thursday I pulled up my service ticket on the Web and edited the problem description to say that I now had no dialtone but incoming calls rang  and my DSL is OK.  Yestierday I went back online and checked the ticket again (I was going to add  that my phone line had no NID).  The problem descriptin was gone--replaced with a cryptic series of abbreviation starting with "CHANGE APPT/ACC.  Going back to the main section of the ticket I found that it now re ad"The issue will not require a technician" and that Verizon will resolve the issue around 5pm on 10/2.  Thet's the date of my service appointment. If it can be resolved by throwing a switch in some central location, why must I wait for over a week to get my dialtone back?

So  I  phoned service and asked for an agent to get an explanation.  The agent really couldn't clarify even after I expained the changes on the Web ticket and read the online text to her. All I got was an earlier appointment because I now have no dialtone. 

If I'm to believe that Verizon will fix the problem without a technician...that'll be a waste of my and the technician's time on Monday..  Oh, and there's no description of the problem on the Web ticket now,  but it has the new appointment date.  I added contact info to the form again I hope the technician has access to  the previous details about the "issue" before coming out.

0 Likes