BEWARE VERIZON WIRELESS DECEPTIVE PLAN CHANGES & LACK OF ALERTS FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL
rjgrzyb
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a Verizon Wireless customer for many years.  Through March, 2021, my VZW plan was associated with my employer and included international coverage.  At some point after that, Verizon Wireless told me that I was on an old plan and needed to switch to a current plan. VZW did not tell me that international coverage was not included when they made me switch plans.  In August, 2022, I spent three nights in Canada; now my current bill includes $1482 in international charges.  As deceptive as this is, it gets worse.   

My account profile on the Verizon Wireless web site shows that I had set up “maximum international alerts.”  Yet I did not receive any texts or emails from Verizon while in Canada to alert me to any international charges.  Verizon cannot show me that any texts or emails were sent and received.

I have explained all of this to two different VZW agents on 9/5 and 9/6.  Their agents have not been able to address this deceptive plan change practices and lack of alerts, and insist I owe $1482, which is criminal.  I requested a VZW manager call me back since mid-afternoon on 9/5 and have not even receive a decency of a response.  $1482 is almost two months of my pension.

My next steps are this post and reviews on Google, Consumer Reports, BBB and other sites.  Next, I will contact the Pennsylvania Bureau of Consumer Protection, which is part of the PA Office of the Attorney General.  If Verizon Wireless does not resolve this, I will port my VZW and Verizon FIOS services to other carriers.  I pay Verizon/VZW $4200 a year for these services, which they are apparently willing to forgo to defend $1482 of illegitimate charges.  I do not plan to pay these charges and my final action will be to file a legal complaint with the Allegheny County Magisterial District Court.

The first VZW agent I spoke with on 9/5 acknowledged that I have been a good Verizon Wireless  customer for over ten years.  She was confident once the VZW back office and management teams responded we would get this resolved.  Over the past ten years, I have spent over $40,000 with Verizon and VZW, which demonstrates no customer loyalty in return.  Instead, Verizon Wireless defends their deceptive plan changes and lack of any international alerts.  Verizon Wireless bears responsibility for the $1482 in charges.  To current and potential Verizon Wireless customers, please be aware of their illegitimate practices and an international alert system that does not work.

I can be reached at [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service] if any one has any questions about what Verizon Wireless has done.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: BEWARE VERIZON WIRELESS DECEPTIVE PLAN CHANGES & LACK OF ALERTS FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL
BBB2023
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am currently dealing with a very similar experience, over $1,200 in international charges on my teenage daughter's phone for text messages that were never sent.

0 Likes