International prepaid SIM card
TBBB
Enthusiast - Level 1

Can I buy a prepaid SIM card from a German cell carrier and use it in my Verizon Samsung S8 while in Germany for a month?

0 Likes
Re: International prepaid SIM card
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you have that option.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

Maybe. Recently Verizon has begun locking the GSM component of their phones. If yours is locked, you won't be able to use a sim from another carrier. Do you have a friend on another carrier who would let you try their sim in your phone before your trip?

pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

I tried to edit my answer, but missed the cut off. TBBB, when did you buy your phone. This new policy only started recently.

Verizon will lock phones despite FCC rules against it | ZDNet

0 Likes
TBBB
Enthusiast - Level 1

Summer 2017 - Samsung claims they don't lock their 4G/LTE phones...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TBBB, 

Having a Global Sim card can be of great help while traveling abroad. This is usually a great solution. The answers Ann154 and Richard provided are correct. I just wanted to provide some additional information. You will be able to use the Global Sim card on the device if the device has currently been activated and used on the Verizon Wireless network before leaving the US. Has the device been used prior to your trip? If so, you should be fine. Does this provide clarity?

Veronica_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes