International use in Mexico
MELCHEW2002

Hi, My Daughter lives and works as a teacher in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico with her two small children. Recently she was here in the U.S. visiting and we went to talk to verizon about getting her a phone while she was here, that she may be able to use in Mexico.  We purchased a phone when we were told she COULD use it in Mexico and I put her on my plan.  Today she returned to Mexico, but before she left she visitied the Verizon store in Mt. Zion, IL and was assured that Verizon now has service in Mexico and Canada and she could take her phone and use it.  After she got home in Mexico, she discovered she could NOT use it without purchasing a plan. She contacted me via FB...since she could not use her phone...so I went to Verizon to find out that YES, she COULD use her phone if I PURCHASED the XLG plan that isn't really even available anymore(16gb), but a rep could put that plan on my bill for and EXTRA $40 a month! (for the "FREE" service I have to pay for).   I asked who would even buy such a package since WIFI is so available now and we don't need 16gb anymore.  The service sales people told me...anyone who wants international service!  To add an extra $40 to my plan would make my plan at least $200 a month!  I can not afford that as I already have myself, my son and now my daughter, who can not even use her phone anymore!  I was told I could cancel her line since she is not able to use it, but first I must pay off her phone, which I bought with my plan, since I was under the misguided idea that she could use her phone in Mexico!  I feel I have been scammed by a company too large to care about their customers!  So now my daughter and two young grandchildren are in Mexico with no phone at this point.  I would not even been upset and feel very scammed if I had been told UP FRONT that I had to BUY an expensive plan for her phone that I bought to work in Mexico.  I am sure nothing can be done, but I feel the communication should be a lot better and customers should NOT be lead to believe something that is not exactly true, just to make them buy more expensive plans and devices that they do not need. I am currently looking for other phone companies even though I have been with Verizon for several years and paid a fortune to have your plans and phones. I also am a teacher and cannot afford these kinds of misleading scams.  Thank you for your time.

Melanie

0 Likes
Re: International use in Mexico
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MELCHEW2002

Yikes, that is definitely not the experience we strive to provide. I'm disappointed to read about what transpired and want to do everything I can to help turn things around. We absolutely don't want to lose you and will figure out exactly what happened. I sent you a private message to your community inbox. Can you please reply there so we can provide more personalized support?

AmberK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: International use in Mexico
MELCHEW2002

Yes, I got your message on email, but have not heard a word from you since then.  I still have my daughter in Mexico and not sure what she is able to do with her phone.  She is afraid to use it in case it causes extra charges for me.  Please let me know what I can do?

Melanie [removed]

Personal Information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes