Verizon Internet Gateway NCQ1338 Bridge Mode
Cory1463
Enthusiast - Level 1

How do I enable "Bridge Mode" on my Verizon Internet Gateway NCQ1338? I have it connected to my home mesh wifi system and am getting a "double NAT" error.

Labels (1)
72 Replies
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you already checked the user manual for any instructions to what you want to do? 

https://www.verizon.com/support/verizon-internet-gateway-ask-ncq1338/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

rusty-shackleford
Enthusiast - Level 2

Curious if you ever figured this out.  There doesn't seem to be a way to setup bridge mode in the current gateway firmware.  Interestingly, the docs VZ submitted to the FCC show that bridge mode is an option.  Very disappointing that this isn't available.y4Xnbix

Cory1463
Enthusiast - Level 1

No

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I took a look into this & see Bridge Mode is currently unsupported on the 5G internet Gateway device.  -Kia

0 Likes
davidsigep
Enthusiast - Level 1

Are there plans to add bridge mode? I switched from TMobile Home Internet specifically because bridge mode was available in the previous 5G modem, so this is really disappointing. I wasn't aware the modem was being switched out for one that doesn't support bridge mode. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Knowing all your featues is crucial.-Sean

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are checking on this now and will respond again shortly.-Sean

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate all your patience.  Our 5G Home Internet Tech Support team can fully assist you in going over all options with your device at 800-922-0204 to ensure that you know all the details and options.-Sean

0 Likes
Emsworth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe that you can use DMZ which is supported by the ASK-NCQ1338 router to get into a bridge mode but as a newbie I am looking into this.   Give it a try if you can.

0 Likes
Speedracer216

As of yesterday there's now an option go to bridge mode. I got a firmware update and it was a button on the home screen under where it says it's in router mode. I would screenshot it but I activated it and have no clue how to go back to router mode and now I cannot access the network settings anymore from the Verizon app or a web browser. At least I needed it in bridge mode and I am fine with it for now. It would be nice to know how to get back to router mode. I am currently using my 5g gateway (window mount) strictly as a modem bridge mode providing internet to my asus xt8 router and mesh network. So far so good in the fee hours I've been able to be in bridge mode.

0 Likes
verizon_user_8
Enthusiast - Level 1

What firmware version are you now on? My unit keeps giving me an error when checking for firmware updates.

rusty-shackleford
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Speedracer216 

It sounds like you are referring to a different model (the mmWave modem) which differs from the C-band (ASK-NCQ1338) modem.  Whenever I try to update the firmware on my NCQ1338 modem, it fails.  It has never worked.  The current firmware shows as version 214322.

0 Likes
Speedracer216
Spoiler

Yeah sorry I didn't realize you all were referring to a different model. I have the window mount unit which I'm pretty sure is the mmWave modem. But the firmware update happened automatically over night. I would think I they would treat the 5g home internet the same but I could be completely wrong on that. 

0 Likes
Speedracer216

Also once bridge mode is enable you can apparently access the web console via https://10.0.0.2/cgi-bin/luci/verizon/network. I just found this out today so I will test when I get home and let you all know my firmware version. Again I have the window mount unit with 5ghome internet so sorry for any confusion 

0 Likes
verizon_user_8
Enthusiast - Level 1

No bridge option for me either. Hopefully this comes soon to our NCQ1338 gateways.

rusty-shackleford
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can confirm that bridging is now available after the latest firmware update (220745).  It is actually working quite well.  No more double-NAT issues or other goofiness with the "DMZ" solution in earlier firmwares.  Actually getting the update applied was pretty painful.  I had to reboot the NCQ1338 cube about 10 times for the firmware to actually load and take effect.  YMMV.

Bridge Mode

Firmware Version

0 Likes
Cang_Household-w
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bridging is simply not using a router's layer 3 features. You can abandon its layer 3 features without having to enable a specific setting.

I would not recommend bridge the Verizon Gateway as it faces the Verizon network and VZ is providing firmware updates to keep your network secure. To use your own router's WiFi, simply "bridge" your router by disabling its DHCP server, set a static LAN IP address, and plug in an Ethernet cable from the LAN to LAN.

rusty-shackleford
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Cang_Household-w wrote:

Bridging is simply not using a router's layer 3 features.

No.  It isn't.  You are still dealing with double-NAT at that point.  Bridging is extending the device in a layer 2 fashion to either a router or firewall.  This allows you to receive a public-routable IP on your devices(firewall or router) interface and allows you to do NAT.  The verizon router is still manageable via its public IP and allows for firmware updates.

In regard to failing firmware updates, I had to power cycle my NCQ1338 about 10 times in order to get a successful update.

Max2U
Enthusiast - Level 2

I power cycled more than 10 times as I saw your note. Also did a Factory reset. No joy.

I was on the phone with a Verizon Rep today who was quite interested in finding the answer, but internal docs apparently didn't help. She did say it might just be a matter of the update rolling out to servers slowly.

0 Likes
Cang_Household-w
Enthusiast - Level 3

@rusty-shackleford wrote:

You are still dealing with double-NAT at that point.  Bridging is extending the device in a layer 2 fashion to either a router or firewall. 

Why are you dealing with a double-NAT when you bridge? If you connect an Ethernet cable between the 4 port LAN switch of one router to that of another router, all LAN devices only need to go through one NAT if using IPv4.